Is it possible to test to see if a house has a small water leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had an alarm notification on my hive leak sensor this morning saying that a small/ low flow leak had been detected last night. I went through the trouble shoiting but couldn't find any leaky taps etc. It's possible a tap was left slightly for a while but then fully turned off next time someone used the bathroom.
I just hit "ignore for now" on the app but it turns out this doesn't actually reset the notification so tonight I had to go back in and basically say I had found and fixed the problem
However after talking to the hive team it seems that now I have accepted this as fixed the sensor may see this as "normal" so if there is actually a leak it may not pick up on it

So getting to my actual question, is there a way of testing a system to see if there is actually a small leak? Obviously a leak could be under the floor etc so not obvious for anyone physically looking for one

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turning all the taps off, then listening with a rod on a pipe against the ear ?
Then to confirm, turn off at the mains, or road, see if the sound changes

Are you on a water meter? These will show the slightest of flows, by way of the wheel on the meter rotating with the water flow. Make sure everything if off, no water is being used, cisterns filling slightly etc, and then check.

Are you on a water meter? These will show the slightest of flows, by way of the wheel on the meter rotating with the water flow. Make sure everything if off, no water is being used, cisterns filling slightly etc, and then check.

Hi no water meter unfortunately. I'm guessing identifying if a leak is there is pretty difficult,, would a plumber have anything like a flow meter that could do this?

Sponsored Links
That's where the leak is. Put some dye into each cistern.

Andy
Thanks for the reply Andy, I'm not exactly sure what you mean tho, do you mean that water is leaking through the pushbutton?
If so then I don't believe that this is the case as one of the pushbuttons is on top of the cistern and the other is high enough on the toilet that it's above the water line

Sorry if I've picked you up wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back