Mains water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, a bit of a story to start...

Back in Feb, I saw a man in an orange jacket opening the flap at the top of the drive where the water shut off valve goes and looking a stick down and putting his ear to it before wandering off to the next house.

A week later Severn Trent phoned to say they detected a leak.

They sent someone out to look at it. He fitted a meter temporarily and calculated that it was losing 180L per hour.

He said we would need a gassing team and would organise one.

A few weeks later we get a call from Severn Trent to say they will be with us in ten minutes. I am if they are the gassing team and they said no, they have to come and fit a meter first to see how much it is leaking. I explained that they had already done this, so they said they would organise a gassing team instead.

A few weeks later the gassing team turned up. They tested it and found it to be leaking out of the box at the top where the shut off valve is. So they said that was their issue.

The organised for a team to replace the box, this took a month or so. Eventually they came and dug it up, replaced the box, and filled in the hole and re surfaced all whilst we were at work without telling us they were coming. They posted a note through saying "Leak fixed"

A couple of weeks later, a Severn Trent employee knocks on the door to say he had detected a leak. He fits a meter and it is losing 180L per hour.

They send the gassing team.

The gassing team find it is leaking at the box.

They send a team to fix it, they dig it up and conclude that the team that filled it in had damaged it.

They fix it. Note through door to say it is fixed.

It gets filled back in the next day.

We've heard nothing for a couple of months.

Then on Friday, a letter came through the door to say they have detected a leak . Again, 180L per hour

So 8 months later it is apparently still leaking 180L per hour.

Each time they have fixed it they have not tested it after to see if it is still leaking. CCTV from the first one shows they didn't, talking to them on the second dig they said they aren't trained to test.

So now it looks like we are back to gassing again, which will come out of the box at the top again.

In the 8 months alone that would be over 1 million litres of water wasted and flowing under our property somewhere. They have admitted that it could have been leaking for years before as they don't test that often.

We have great pressure in the taps and no obvious boggy patches anywhere outside.

Where would you go with this? Would you get them to come back and test again and go through all the same again?

Would you just replace the supply pipe to the house (it currently goes down the drive, under the garage floor, under the kitchen floor and pops up under the sink to the stop tap. A new one could go down the drive under the garage floor, then emerge there and go through the wall into the kitchen, then it would be at the back of a couple of kitchen cupboards before going to the rising main.

Would you be worried about the millions of litres of water going under the property?

Would appreciate thoughts!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would you be worried about the millions of litres of water going under the property?
I would be looking for any sign of subsidence of any building on the property, e.g hairline crack in brickwork, wall out of true vertically. But the water may not be going under your property.

At the end of the day there's very little you can do if it's their responsibility and they keep fixing it FOC and there is no adverse effect to you.

You could always write a complaint mail to their customer service and the council, pointing out the large waste of resources and money on something that should take 1 repair. Will that actually have any effect, hmmmmm :unsure:

Drop an email to [email protected] (CEO of Trent Water) setting out the issue. The key point to make is you and/or your insurer will be seeking to recoup from Trent Water all your direct and indirect costs due to subsidence or damage otherwise attributable to the leak

Sponsored Links
They keep saying it must be on our part of the pipe but when they do the gassing it comes out at the shut off valve in the maintenance strip at the top of our drive.

We have no signs of subsidence, no hairline cracks etc.

We live on a hill so I imagine the water is finding somewhere to go very quickly. I've reported to them that the main waste water drain runs clear all the time, so I wonder if it finds its way in there? They don't seem worried about the water water drain though.

Does typical house insurance cover replacing a pipe? We have cover with direct line. We don't pay extra for drains cover etc.

I've reported to them that the main waste water drain runs clear all the time

You are saying that when you raise a drainage manhole cover you see a constant flow of water? Not just when a bathroom/sink/w.c. has been in use?

You are saying that when you raise a drainage manhole cover you see a constant flow of water? Not just when a bathroom/sink/w.c. has been in use?
Yes, in our back garden we have a manhole cover for a shared sewer, it feeds from some of the houses up the road as well as ours joining in. Ours joins at this point, but you can see water running from further up, not a massive flow rate but it runs all the time with clear water. Our supply pipe etc is at the front of the house and the sewer pipe comes down the drive parallel to the supply pipe (perhaps a meter away)

Well we ended up speaking to the home insurance who sent someone out for most of the day yesterday to look at it.

They dig a hole at the top of the drive and a hike at the bottom of the drive and were able to work out that there was a leak between the top and the bottom of the drive. They then worked out that there was also a leak between the drive and the stop tap inside the house.

As there are multiple leaks they have concluded that the pipe is deteriorating due to age, so now probably has a number of pin hole leaks in it. This apparently isn't covered under the insurance as it is just wear and tear.

I'm not overly happy as it probably means me fitting the bill for a replacement pipe, but also why would mine wear faster than all the others on the street when they were all built at the same time? They've all been confirmed to not be leaking. How can they be sure that it hasn't been damaged by something?

Would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks

Could be any number of reasons from the quality of pipe that was used on yours against the others to how it was laid or the soil conditions/settlement in your particular part of the land.

It really isn't worth pursuing as it would be nigh on impossible to lay blame on anyone for fault and therefore would still be be put down to wear and tear. Unfortunately too, if it's from the water transporters toby/meter to your pipe then yup it's all your responsibility.

How old is it?

What is gassing in this context, anybody?
Good question.

Shooting the breeze with your mates - probably not.

Deploymenent of chlorine gas WW1 or Xyklon B WW2 - please, let's not go there.

Air pressure test on pipework between two fixed points - possibly.

Traceable gas injected into said pipework??

Also curious.

Traceable gas injected into said pipework??
Pretty likely I would think. Nitrogen/Hydrogen mix is used, injected into the pipework at pressure, then sensitive tracing equipment picks up the escaping gas on the surface, helping to pinpoint any leaks.

Pretty likely I would think. Nitrogen/Hydrogen mix is used, injected into the pipework at pressure, then sensitive tracing equipment picks up the escaping gas on the surface, helping to pinpoint any leaks.
That sounds about right.

The water board turn off the stop in the road, then remove the meter or the plug where the meter would go and connect up a pipe. They then ask you to turn off the stop tap in the house. They then pump a gas mix into the length of pipe. They then use a sniffer machine (looks a bit like a metal detector) and go over the area where the pipe should be and it beeps and gives a reading of the amount of has it is detecting. The gas is supposed to seep through tarmac etc so they can tell where the leak is.

In our case it didn't work very well as it just all kept coming out at the top, but that was because they had a small leak on the connection.

Could be any number of reasons from the quality of pipe that was used on yours against the others to how it was laid or the soil conditions/settlement in your particular part of the land.

It really isn't worth pursuing as it would be nigh on impossible to lay blame on anyone for fault and therefore would still be be put down to wear and tear. Unfortunately too, if it's from the water transporters toby/meter to your pipe then yup it's all your responsibility.

How old is it?

It is 43 years old. The water board told me that it has a lifespan of 40 years but I've also been told it has a lifespan of 100 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back