Replacing the water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Great site, used it loads, have to ask a question though.

I will be replacing my water main in the next few weeks. I have got the go ahead from severn trent as they will be making the final connection in the street.

From my end i will be bring in the new plastic pipe from outside taking under the suspended floor of the living room. cutting a channel in the solid floor of the hallway going back under a suspended floor in the dining room and then finally ending at the kitchen.

Any help regarding insulation, ducting to use or anything at all would be great.

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
I would not feel constrained to following the route of the existing service. Evaluate all the possible alternate routes. Maybe a couple more metres of pipe and a bit of digging could save you pulling up floors etc.

Thanks for the reply.

We are moving away from the existing main in the house, the existing main runs right to the back of the house. The new main will end just inside the kitchen cutting short the existing run by about 6 meters.

We are doing it ourselves as every plumber we have called have advised us to do it ourselves!!

Sponsored Links
The pipe must be buried at a depth of 750-1350mm under the ground. It should be ducted through the wall and into the house, if buried correctly then an uninsulated duct made of 60mm drainage pipe or similar is sufficient. If a depth under the suspended floor, before the rising section, of 750mm is not attainable, then the whole of the run that is above this level must be in an approved insulated duct. This would preferably take the form of a single prefabricated length of bonded duct, insulation and MDPE mains pipe. If uninsulated, the pipe should be kept as far away from air bricks as is possible.

In the solid floor, the pipe does not have to be buried to such a depth. It should be laid in a purpose-made duct, which is not to be backfilled with cement. If there are no joints in the pipework then you may screed over the top of the duct, however it should be left in such a way that the pipe may be withdrawn from the duct "for inspection" after the floor finish is completed. If there are joints in the pipe then permanent access covers must be provided (you may add a floor finish such as tiling, laminate, carpet, lino etc over the top of the duct cover, which should be flush with the floor). Ducts may be constructed of galvanised metal, PVC or wood, however if wood is used then it must be treated against rotting. Personally I'd make sure there are no joins in the pipework and use a length or two of waste pipe as a duct. stuff a bit of fibreglass insulation up either end to stop cold draughts getting at the pipe.

Hope the above helps and isn't too much of an epic read for you. Any questions, I'll be happy to help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back