Replacing old lead water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During current kitchen rebuild I have discovered the existing water main is lead. Original main was shared with our neighbors (1920 semi) with a common stop cock in the pavement outside their gate. This feed ran under their house to the kitchen and then under the solid floor, party wall, and our solid kitchen floor to emerge (blinking in the light} behind the sink, where it is sweated onto half inch copper with about 2" to the stop tap.

Our neighbors had their kitchen done a few years ago and had new blue plastic main laid from the main in the street with their own new stop cock under a new cover in the pavement. Strangely they left their old lead rising main (capped above the stop tap) poking out of the floor, presumably as it still also feeds to our house..

While I'm not unduly bothered about the lead content (we've lived here 30 years with no obvious effects (twitch, twitch) I understand that Water Boards are keen to replace lead.

The question is do they charge for such replacement and are there grants/subsidies etc (we're supplied by Severn Trent).

I would imagine the installation of a new pipe would be quite problematical involving digging pavement/garden/ footpath/ kitchen floor etc. Who is responsible?
Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
why not ask the water board? /your neighbour

as far as i know anything on your side of the main stopsock is down to you

Odyssy said:
The question is do they charge for such replacement and are there grants/subsidies etc (we're supplied by Severn Trent)
I do know Severn Trent will send an information pack with all the details for you, give them a ring.

Sponsored Links
I recently made a similar enquiry with United Utilities regarding a terraced property. An application is needed to obtain approval and the work has to meet a set standard. Anything on your land is down to you, but the water board will make the connection and provide outside stop cock.
The plastic water pipe has to be 25mm bore, is has to be inside a 100mm plastic pipe and insulated. The pipe has to be laid 2.5ft below ground level. This means entering the house at this level and coming up through a solid floor.There has to be inspections at certain stages and you have to remove or cap off the old supply. They suggest I get a plumber for the work and they have names of reccomended plumbers.
In the notes mention is made of grants, but it suggests you make enquires with the local council.
I've since found United Utilities have a web site with all this information on line so I assume Severn Trent have one also.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back