Is it possible to wall mount a desk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Probably a silly idea, but I'd like to rule it out if not possible.

We have a light desk surface at 150x75cm. It will be used as a general purpose desk for my son. It will have a large gaming computer on it but the monitors will be wall mounted.

His bed is next to the desk so that with legs one under bed drawer can't be used.

The wall behind is solid brick.

Can this be wall mounted with triangular brackets?

We'd need enough clearance for the drawer, we want it to be rock solid and obviously to be secure on wall.

Other idea is to use one leg one side and bracket on other but again, the bracket side would have to be rock solid.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

I would have thought a desk would need more of a triangle support than that, but it's definitely an idea.

Also ideally I would use singular / 'self contained' brackets rather than a shelving system.

Thanks

Jack,
For floating desks I use these as they are largest off the shelf that I could find:
www.toolstation.com/strong-stay-bracket/p62650

But note that:
- These are not that stong as the triangle support can be flexed by lad on desk.
- I also put small block of wood screwed into wall under one or both front-corners of desk as I feel these brakets are not strong enough (at some point someone will sit on a desk).
- Drilled extra screw holes into metal (near 90degree bend) so that there is more attachment onto wall and desk and reduced 'pull' load on each screw.
- Used extra long 6mm dia screws into brick.

SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Batten fixed horizontally to wall, then hinge the desk surface to that. Add a pair of chains from wall down to outer edges of desk, to give solid support. Desk should then be proof against being sat on and able to fold up out of the way.

Have a Google at T and K wall brackets. Obviously what's important is that the top fixing bolts go right in the centre of a full brick, not a joint or near the edge - you'd have to do some poking around the plaster to find that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back