Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I looked at the other categorises, but didn't really think the other categories would fit this.

I'm looking to add an under-desk shelf to my desk. I looked into keyboard trays but they are only 200-280mm in depth, and I was looking to make one at least 450mm deep and probably about 350mm wide. My desk top is made of wood and it has a metal beam that runs from each side and is 178mm from the edge of the desk. The beam is 19mm in height and 30mm in depth. The full depth of the desk is 620mm.
See images:

5OisDfE.jpg
&

M0F2UwQ.png

Since the keyboard shelves were too short I tried looking into making my own shelf using drawer runners then using brackets to hold it in place. This would be a viable option, but the top of the shelf would be at least 20-30mm below the bottom of the desk, then add that to the depth of the desk which is 23mm, that would be a 4-5cm drop from the original desk. So I was wondering if it is possible to find some mechanism that does the following:
  1. Allows a shelf to be extended at least 450mm
  2. Push the shelf up about 4-5cm after full extension.
Here is what I mean (sorry for the bad microsoft paint):

Closed:

NuyheTi.png

Opening:

9PSe77j.png

Open:

hCPl9R6.png

Sort of like how with some extendable dining tables one of the ends can be extended out then rise up to be flush with the rest of the table. I also wanted to make the shelf fairly sturdy and most shelf runners can take around 35-45kg which is more than enough for what I need.

I was wondering how viable this would be, or if I should just stick to the idea of the normal shelf sliders and brackets?

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
40kg is far to much in my opinion it will be unstable and tip

40kg is far to much in my opinion it will be unstable and tip
Hi, I meant the capacity of normal shelf sliders are able to take this capacity. I wouldn't have any where near 40kg on it.

Sponsored Links
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...VyPhRCh1HwAGYEAQYByABEgKhYvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get keyboard shelves at 400 x 600?

Or fit board to underside with hinges allowing it to swing from under shelf to on top to match desk height.
Hi, These say double extension, will this still allow for a 350mm depth (In the case of the one you linked), or this one which states 450mm instead of 350mm on the same site?
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...table-height-brackets-15kg-450mm-black-817024

have you thought about a fold down flap attached to the right hand side wall ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back