is it time for a new valve ? (full story in a post now)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained down my central heating system to replace the valve i have refilled and bled the system and now the water heating works fine but when i start up radiator heating you hear the motorised valve click and move ,then the grundfos pump just keeps clicking and the boiler does not ignite ????? anyone got any ideas

See later post for better explanation turns out its not the pump

Sponsored Links
You may have some debris in the pump unscrew the centre pivot nut/screw and turn manually then tighten up and try again
Pete

i did try undoing center screw and burnt my fingers on water coming out, how much water should come out ? will it stop or constantly flow out

If you have gate valves each side close them you will still have a pump full of water turn the screw until you can actually rotate the shaft.
Pete

Just re read your op if your water is heating up ok then the pump should be working fine it, is it running smooth on hot water only

Sponsored Links
NO it still didnt work, i removed screw and the pump spins freely, as i said it just clicks like the sound of a relay clicking on and off :(

It is a grundfos 15/50

maybe i should explain when we moved in there was a problem!
everytime the hot water comes on it would heat up the radiators, a plummer came and said it was the valve, so he replaced it.
But it was not the problem, it is a old maxi boiler which i think he said has only 1 pipe through burner to supply both water and radiator ( not too sure) so he thought it must be a pipe has been crossed over somewhere on installation , around 20 years ago, anyway we have ben just turning radiator taps off during summer to stop them heating up. a few months ago a different plummer came out because we had no heating at all and he replaced a part inside the vale electrics. then it stopped heating radiators recently so i fitted the original valve ( the 1 the first plummer though was broken and causing the problem) and now the water side is ok but i get the clicking from the pump when i try to use the radiator part,
you can hear the valve click and move but the burner does not ignite and the pump keeps clicking.

also if the water is on and you turn thermostat up to start heating you dont hear any clicking until water side stops and burner goes out

i hope you can understand and maybe it might help !

If this only started happening when you changed the MZV then you could well have a highly resistive connection somewhere - either one of the wires that you've worked on or the microswitch in the MZV.

It seems you are right on both accounts it IS a baxi boiler and it IS clicking from the valve, i fell such a DIY noob :oops:
thx all for your help,

looks like i'll be getting a new valve this time maybe it had been sitting in my garage for too long .....

Noobs are welcome to search for a plumber on the site by putting in their postcode ;) ....seeing as we`re in Sussex together :)

i took of the cover from the valve and i can see the micro switch clicking, the motor turns till it hits switch then it returns a bit then turns again until it clicks and so on.

i just checked with the one i removed to make sure i had put the valve on the correct way, and it is same as b4 going by the letters A & B on pipe,
i presume all valves are labelled the same way?

peter40 said:
i took of the cover from the valve and i can see the micro switch clicking, the motor turns till it hits switch then it returns a bit then turns again until it clicks and so on.
You've wired it wrongly.

i just checked with the one i removed to make sure i had put the valve on the correct way, and it is same as b4 going by the letters A & B on pipe, presume all valves are labelled the same way?
Yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back