Is lathe & plaster a selling point??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
After another very cold winter my period house (1850) is damn cold. Single pane sash and case all round, bay windows, and coved ceilings combined with thick solid stone walls mean it's poor at retaining heat.

Anyway my long term plan is to start with insulated plasterboard. thjis emans removing my lathe and plaster. I plan to do thison the ceiling too as although I have loft insulation, the coved parts are obviously not included.

Does lathe and plaster REALLY add to the value of a house, and will that value perhaps be replaced by better performing insulation? Once it's decorated, is lathe and plaster any different from plasterboard (or K18)?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Sponsored Links
I definitely think that it can add to the value of a 'cottage' type period property. You know the type, not a straight line or flat surface in the place ! :mrgreen: Then acres of new perfect plasterboard can look out of place.

But the 1850's.........well, at least then the builder was 'aiming' for straight and flat, and he probably hit it, judging by the quite high standard of the Victorian houses I have worked on!

It's only time and movement that has given the lath and plaster its 'unique' look. I bet it was flat to start with.

So, if it was flat to start with.........I don't see how it can hurt the 'look' of a place to be flat once again. If it doesn't hurt the look I don't see how it can hurt the price. Especially in this day and economic times where insulation matters.

Funny about how people don't seem to give a stuff about period kitchens, bathrooms etc lol!

p.s. dig me out on the web at 'polishing peanuts' if you want to see whats involved taking lath and plaster out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back