Cost to replace ceiling etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an incident occur last week and I have just been visited by a loss adjuster. The issue is a simple one, I need a new ceiling, coving and paint and decorate the room.

However, as I made the loss adjuster aware my intention is to remove the upstairs chimney, therefore if he approves I would also remove the downstairs in one go thus mitigating the cost of replacing the ceiling and coving et al at the same time.

He was fine with that, but since work has already commenced upstairs and the chimney on the first floor has been removed I am only expecting he insurance company to pay for the cost of the insured liabilities and not the rest.

So, my question is - what would be the cost of removing a lath and plaster ceiling and coving, install a new plasterboard ceiling, plaster, install new coving and decorate the room.

The room is approximately 4m width by 4.5m into a bay, but the coving doesn't go into the bay.

Sponsored Links
It would be difficult to say, as you are probably removing a ceiling that does not have level or even spaced joists, which would generally require packing out, possibly additional noggins and cross joists or lots of off cut waste of plasterboards.
A conservative guestimate, would be somewhere near £800-£900.

Thanks,

It is just an estimate I wanted to get an idea - I was thinking more along the £2k mark with all the coving etc and redecorating involved.

Yes about 1500 to 2k. What about the chimney in the loft and above the roof? Did you contact the Council?

Sponsored Links
The chimney is my responsibility, it's only the insured losses that they will pay for, so I was trying to proportion the difference in the cost that they would contribute towards the overall cost.

Why do I need to contact the council to remove a chimney? Last time I contacted them they did not seem remotely interested because it is an internal chimney at the rear of the house that does not have a detrimental affect on the neighbours or on the wall because it is not load baring and that it is being removed from the top down completely.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back