lath and plaster history

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a DIY question as such, can anybody tell me if it's usual to have lath and plaster covering the inside surface of an external wall?

My terraced house in Scarborough has parts which may be 250 years old. In 1860 they pulled down an end wall and rebuilt this with two layers of brick and a layer of lath and plaster. I've assumed this was for insulation purposes and the lath and plaster was done at the time. The side walls are brick with plaster directly on top. There is no cavity in the brick as far as I can tell.

The ceilings are also lath and plaster, but I assume that's normal.

Comments anybody?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's not unusual in a house that age, and is a feature worth preserving.

Blup

Many thanks. I’m actually trying to work out the age of my place. The wall from the 1860’s may have been done like that then. Another end wall also has it so I’m thinking this will be older. This is in somewhat worse condition and has already had some rooms redone with plasterboard by a previous owner. I’d love to get it all restored, but it’s in good nick so this won’t happen soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back