Is LPG Boiler best near the Kitchen or near the Bulk Tank

tiz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering an LPG Bulk Tank and eco Hometec EC25 boiler. The problem is that the only viable location for the LPG Bulk Tank is at the other end of our farmhouse to the kitchen and bathrooms. Obviously I'd like to position the boiler and unvented cylinder near the kitchens and bathrooms, but is it better to:
  • locate the boiler near the bulk tank (with long superinsulated primary circuit to cylinder near kitchen)(
  • boiler and cylinder near the bulk tank (with superinsulated DHW supply to kitchen)
  • boiler and cylinder near kitchen (with long LPG supply pipe from bulk tank)?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
If you are only considering having a bulk tank, you need to contact the supplier first. There are strict regulations that determine where tanks can be installed.
The supplier needs to carry out a site survey.

As for length of supply pipe from tank to an exterior wall the supplier will advice you. They normally run pipe from tank to ECV.

Just a thought why Lpg.
Personally I would go for oil.

your tank will be fitted by the supplier or a sub contractor,their are strict guidelines concerning tank siting.the rep will discuss your requirements with you and tell you the requirements base/trench/depth etc.if your tank is a good distance away from the house they may run medium pressure pipework to a suitable point outside the building and wall mount the reg with suitable isolation and opso,ready for your rgi to connect and test lp side.

Sponsored Links
It will also be several thousand quid cheaper to have a long gas pipe.

Not that its a need for consideration to super rich farmers :LOL:

:eek: How did you come up with that assumption.

Providing the base has been laid to comply with regulations and the trench
excavated the cost is reasonable.

Mind you the running cost ain't :cry:

Mind you the running cost ain't

oil is over 50pl so running costs are around the same,being rural and in yorkshire i would look at the other alternatives pellet/geo thermal/solid fuel etc just out of curiosty

:eek: How did you come up with that assumption.

Providing the base has been laid to comply with regulations and the trench
excavated the cost is reasonable.

Mind you the running cost ain't :cry:

It is not an assumption, it's a fact, and doesn't take much working out. :rolleyes:

A long way away, so shall we say 50m from the kitchen/boiler.

Cost of 25mm Gas pipe £1.19m
Roll of gas marker tape £41.82

Super insulated pipe approximately £30 m

or.

£50 V £1500

Tank position has already been determined after a site visit by the local LPG supplier - there is only really one location. It is this constraint that means it is 25 meters away from the kitchen.

The bulk tank is about 8m from a barn attached to the house. We will convert the barn into a living room and larger kitchen at a later date. The barn is a shell awaiting conversion, but it is weatherproof, stable and has a new sub-floor.
The barn is 14m wide.

I have the option of either:

• Running the supply pipe (8m) from the bulk tank to the barn, through the wall (via a shut off) and across the floor barn (14m) to the kitchen where the boiler can be located. The issue with this route is the LPG supply pipe crossing the barn
  • Running the supply pipe (22m) round the back of the house into the kitchen where the boiler can be located. The problem with this route is the trench for the supply pipe cross the path of several drains
  • Running the supply pipe (8m) from the bulk tank to the barn, through the wall (via a shut off) to a boiler(located near the shut off), with superinsulated water feeds to the cylinder/kitchen. The issue with this route is the cost/inefficiency of the long hot water runs

BTW, over 10 years the cost of LPG, GSHP, pellet burner and oil boiler are all pretty similar. Only coal is cheaper. LPG saves because the cost of the tank and piping is borne by my LPG supplier. Also, the LPG boilers are flexible (i.e greater modulation), efficient (98%) and greener (lower CO2 than oil and coal).

Doitall

I think you need to read the first post :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boiler and cylinder near kitchen (with long LPG supply pipe from bulk tank)?

If only you knew anything about the Lpg gas suppliers. We are a Calor approved company so I assume we sometimes get it right :LOL: :LOL:

Providing the base and trench are prepared, Calor will supply a tank for approximately £150.00. They will also run a nice yellow plastic pipe in the trench and connect it to an ECV on the exterior of the property.

All gas suppliers are competing for customer, playing one against the other sure does benefit. It is supprising how much extras they throw in to ensure another sale, and installers benefit from 1st tank fill too:cool: :cool:

Last one we had done was approximately 40m. It cost the customer the hefty price of £75.00. Now tell me where the hell you got £ 1000.00s from?

The way you describe pipe run don't make much sense.
Where you running it from the refinery :p

ps yes we are registered to work on Lpg (but only from ECV) are you Doitall?

Yes and no gremlin 16.

I was Commercial LPG including the first and second stage regulators upto about 6 weeks ago when I was retired through ill health as well as other problems.

Super insulated pipe suitable for sticking in the ground is £30 ish quid a meter.

Taking the gas supply as close as possible to the entry point of the boiler, saves that cost.

And don't talk to me about Calor guys.

I won't brand them all with the same brush, but they fitted out a commercial kitchen, no evc outside, No shut-off solenoid, bottles enclosed under the stairs, etc etc.

bottles enclosed under the stairs, etc etc.

:cool: :cool: What beer bottles :LOL: :LOL: hic hic hic

Any way my apologies for thinking you were quoting from a text book :oops: :oops: ( loads of them on forum)
Im sorry to hear you have retired through ill health.

As for the Calor reps I have dealing with they have been very helpful.
Mind you it takes all sorts, we come across all types in our occupation.

Did i mention that unhelpful body,I think it starts with C and ends in I, forget it shan't go there :LOL: :LOL:

I have the direct line to the LPG man at Corgi, and the guy is brilliant.

Mind he won't talk to you if your name doesn't come up on the screen :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back