Is my adaptor safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a for a Bush radio .The original broke so I bought this one online from a third party and it descruibed the itej as matching the radio in question .The requirment is 6V DAC 1000milla. whilst the adaptor (which is part of a plug attached to a mains lead) states 6V Dac 2000milla.I subsequently read that hte radio will extract hte amperage it requires form the adaptor. What concerned me though is that when i first pluged in it crackled .Now it seems fine but I am still apprehensive .I have a modern consummer unit so presumably the trip switch would go off if anything went wrong.Should I be concerned ?

Sponsored Links
the main question is quality of the item you have bought. It's a cheap Chinese import, right? Probably the voltage and polarity are correct.

show us a pic

and of the little plug and socket.

there will be a little moulded symbol by the socket on the radio, showing polarity required.

your CU is very unlikely to trip unless the adaptor catches fire.

the main question is quality of the item you have bought. It's a cheap Chinese import, right? Probably the voltage and polarity are correct.

show us a pic

and of the little plug and socket.

there will be a little moulded symbol by the socket on the radio, showing polarity required.

your CU is very unlikely to trip unless the adaptor catches fire.

This is the item i bought from amazon http://digidave.co.uk/jshop/product.php?xProd=1009947&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=link&utm_content=6V%20Bush%20Arden%20Wooden%2024333&utm_campaign=PIs03_2013&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9-eMl4ml1gIVF4myCh07xwJZEAQYAyABEgL9DPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arden-Wooden-replacement-supply-adaptor/dp/B00C3OP07Y

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Nothing wrong with many Chinese imports. I bet the original adapter supplied with the radio was a Chinese import as well, and probably the radio itself.

Nothing wrong with many Chinese imports. I bet the original adapter supplied with the radio was a Chinese import as well, and probably the radio itself.
yes it was.Says made in China.the adaptor looks well made as well

Nothing wrong with many Chinese imports.
Indeed not.

But there is a great deal wrong with some of them, and when the maker and the seller are outwith the jurisdiction of UK courts and have no reputation to protect I think the risks are too high to make it worth buying them to save a few quid.

If the adapter can safely provide 6V 2000mA (2A) DC and the connector/polarity are correct, then it will be fine for a 6V 1A DC radio.

If the adapter can safely provide 6V 2000mA (2A) DC and the connector/polarity are correct, then it will be fine for a 6V 1A DC radio.
I think what he is alluding to is that if the adaptor should be faulty causing major problem then it would be very difficult to get any comeback if the supplier, as well as the manufacturer, is based abroad as in "out with the jurisdiction of UK courts" Anyway I looked online and there appear to be rather mixed reviews regarding Digidave.Some call him dodgy dave whilst others seem to rate him highly (Trusted pilot)."Is it worth the risk?" I keep asking myself because although I am sure in the main his products are ok, there could be the odd dodgy one and I would have no comeback.I don't wish to set my house on fire

Last edited:
Don - as an aside - you really ought to pay more attention when typing...
I think what he is alluding to is that oif the adaptor should be faulty causeing mnajor problem then it would be very difficult to get any comeback from if the supplier as wella s d=themanufacturer is based abroad as in "outwith the jurisdiction of UK courts" Anyway i looked online and there appears to be rather mixed reviews regarding Digidave.Some call him dodgydave whilkst others seem to rate him highly (Trusted pilot)."Is it worth the risk?" I keep asking myself because although I am sure in the main his products are ok , there could be the odd dodgy one and I would have no comeback.I dont wish to set my house on fire

yes , my typing skills are terrible. I do have a an app called Grammarly which helps me correct things but I don't always remember to use it
If it's any consolation, I regard the important thing about language, whether spoken or written (or typed!), as being as a means of effective communication - and I, for one, had absolutely no problem in understanding what you were communicating (and I'd be very surprised if the same is not also true of BAS, even if your typing irritated the school teacher within him!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back