Is my adaptor safe?

If it's any consolation, I regard the important thing about language, whether spoken or written (or typed!), as being as a means of effective communication - and I, for one, had absolutely no problem in understanding what you were communicating (and I'd be very surprised if the same is not also true of BAS, even if your typing irritated the school teacher within him!).
You have said that before and I find that way of thiNking, i.e. it doesn't matter if you are careless, quite incomprehensible.
Obviously, strewn with mistakes and bad grammar it is not effective communication.

Be careless in everything you do in life and see what happens.

Do you apply such sloppiness in your medical dealings?

I have said before, your view, though, only applies to mistakes you consider unimportant.

Well, other people disagree.

Cardiff is the capital of Scotland. Which is the mistake. You do not know and cannot tell.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You have said that before and I find that way of thiking, i.e. it doesn't matter if you are careless, quite incomprehensible. Obviously, strewn with mistakes and bad grammar it is not effective communication.
... but that is my point. If it communicates effectively, then it is effective communication. Deficiencies of clarity, ambiguities etc. are a totally different matter - when they are present, it is not effective communication.

More worrying, and an ever-present risk, is that words can be written with perfect grammar, and written/typed (or pronounced) perfectly, but nevertheless convey information which is incorrect. As you go on to say ....
Cardiff is the capital of Scotland. Which is the mistake. You do not know and cannot tell.
Worse than "you don't know and cannot tell (which is the mistake)", if one didn't know better, one would have no reason to suspect that the statement contained any mistakes, despite perfect grammar and typing.
Do you apply such sloppiness in your medical dealings?
Not a direct answer to your question, but I can tell you that if healthcare workers spent time correcting/educating patients in relation to their grammatical errors and misused technical vocabulary (except when there was ambiguity or lack of clarity), I feel sure that even less healthcare would be delivered than is currently managed.
I have said before, your view, though, only applies to mistakes you consider unimportant. Well, other people disagree.
As I said, I would consider a mistake to be "unimportant" as you put it (not interfering with effective communication) if I did not believe that it had impaired communication - and I suppose that others might disagree with me about that view. However, when it comes to things which are obvious typos, I would not expect much disagreement - were you seriously in any doubt as to the maning of anything that donmaico typed (badly) in this thread?

Kind Regards, John

were you seriously in any doubt as to the maning of anything that donmaico typed (badly) in this thread?
Not after deciphering it.
It has been corrected now so could have been done before posting.

It was not necessarily actual bad grammar or spelling mistakes, but some was just gobbledygook (had to look up the spelling of that - it took a couple of seconds).

However, really poor spelling and grammar I find painful and it says things about the writer.

This is difficult to put into words.
As an example - I don't know about you, I suspect not - when I am reading something and come to a "there", my mind immediately thinks "where" or "what", and then reading on it is discovered that it should have been "their" or "they're".

Try:
In Summer when school broke up there parents took them to the coast and on arrival their they're first instinct was there going to have an ice cream.

I'm not going to discuss this all week end but - could it be you who starts such things on a Friday? Every day's the same to me.

However, really poor spelling and grammar I find painful ...
Me, too - but sometimes I feel inclined to bear the pain.
... and it says things about the writer.
It can, although it obviously could simply mean that their knowledge/understanding of grammar and/or spelling is limited. Particularly given that we don't usually have (here) the clues that a real name might give, it might sometimes mean that they are struggling with a language which is not their mother tongue. It might even mean that they are dyslexic, or have a more general impairment of intellectual capacity. I doubt that many people 'deliberately' spell, type or use grammar incorrectly.
As an example - I don't know about you, I suspect not - when I am reading something and come to a "there", my mind immediately thinks "where" or "what", and then reading on it is discovered that it should have been "their" or "they're". ... Try: In Summer when school broke up there parents took them to the coast and on arrival their they're first instinct was there going to have an ice cream.
Incorrect use of "there/their/they're" irritates me immensely, as does the incorrect use (or non-use) of apostrophes, and a few other things (including lamps, continuity testing and transformers!) - but, except on the rare occasions that the mistakes lead to genuine ambiguity, I would rarely 'make an issue of' these things. Life is too short.
I'm not going to discuss this all week end but - could it be you who starts such things on a Friday? Every day's the same to me.
I have to confess to starting this one, by attempting to console donmaico, but I think that "the record would show" that it is usually others who take me to task about grammar or the meaning of words at weekends! Whatever, I'm going to be fairly busy this weekend, so probably wont have much time to 'play'.

Kind Regards, John

Not after deciphering it.

However, really poor spelling and grammar I find painful and it says things about the writer.

In this case, all it says is that I did not take the time to make the necessary corrections it probably due to too much haste. I don't wish to call you pedantic but this thread is about an adaptor and is not meant to be an arguement about my spelling and grammar

So, do you know if your new radio and its adapter are safe? There is no reason for it to be any more safe than the other.
Whenever we buy anything we take a risk but consumer products sold in the UK have to meet certain safety standards whereas products which are sold from who knows where may well fall short of those standards and the retailer difficult to pursue due to his location.The radio was bought from Argos

And if Argos are found to be selling flaky products they face prosecution and reputational damage.

When eBay or Amazon provide the means for individuals to import flaky products from abroad then nobody gets prosecuted and nobody's reputation suffers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back