Is my extractor wired incorrectly?

AFAIK there should be a permanent live in the switch, also a switched live - so the whole thing can come off the switch if it can be wired to.

Doesn't cover any fusing though.

Hey guys, will changing the switch to a double switch be sufficient for the additional isolation needed? or does the isolation need to be a double pole isolator so it also isolates the switched live?

Sponsored Links
If he had done the right thing in the first place and wired the fan from the ceiling rose of the bathroom lamp ( or the acessible junction box ) then he would have had the P Live, (LOOP) S Live and neutral all there,

Likewise P Live and S Live will be in the switch but almost certainly no neutral there so that will have to be imported from the light fitting. But the light controlled by that switch in order to not confuse the next person to work on the system.

And a three pole isolator switch ( P Live S Live and Neutral ) must be between the fan and the rest of the wiring.

Fab. Right, i think i understand.

Fire risk from overloading circuit is a potential problem. Is it possible to predict if it is likely to be overloaded on the info that: this is a lights circuit for two reception rooms/hall/ kitchen with an added two spots and an extractor. So basically it's a total of 7 lights plus the new stuff. Doesn't sound like much or am i being too simplistic here...?

As for it being a hazard, the line to the extractor will run off the same mcb as the lights, so surely this wouldn't be a hazard would it?

Just to clarify, i am planning a new kitchen extension/consumer unit in the next couple of months and so i'm looking to have everything signed off then. Obviously i don't want to have to undo work that hasn't been done correctly though.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
We do have a 3 pole isolator switch and aren't just using a two way switch.

He has now got the fan to come on with the light but the timer is not working. (so that would be no live wire to the extractor yet, is that right?)

I guess all of this confusion has come from him thinking that i wanted it all wired separately in the first instance and the change from doing it one way to doing it another is beyond him.

Anyway, good news is that i have sent him home and someone who knows what he is doing is coming to sort it out.

Thanks go to you all!

has this cloakroom of yours got an opening window, as if i remember correctly i think that if it hasn't the fan would have to be wired so it comes on with the light regardless of anyones preference.

No it hasn't got a window. That is my understanding of it too Leeroy, and hence why i said to my builder that there is no way that i told him i wanted the fan and light entirely separate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back