:( is my lighting earth earthed or not?? :(

I was going to say that your problem stems from the previous occupant being an idiot and fiddling with electrics when he didn't have a FC what he was doing.

But then I read this.

Could I connect the earth to the neutral to check all is working?

Sponsored Links
I've connected up the earth that exists in the main power carrying 3 core cable.

I've used the earth from the 3 core switching wire to connect an earth from the switch to the earth in the loft.

The switch needs an earth though not the lights it is switching.

I've connected up the earth that exists in the main power carrying 3 core cable.
Do you mean that the Twin & Earth cable that goes into the loft ceiling rose from the lighting circuit?

If so have you checked with the other ceiling roses for this lighting circuit that they too have an earth and it is connected - in otherwords that you have continuity of earth from your ceiling rose and or switch back to the Consumer Unit earth.

I've used the earth from the 3 core switching wire to connect an earth from the switch to the earth in the loft.
Do you mean that you have connected the switch wire earth to back of the metal switch and at the other end to the earth you have connected in the loft ceiling rose?

Here we go again.

Would either of the two ****s who think I should not have written this care to explain why, or are you once again going to prove that you are nothing more than stupid and worthless vandals?

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds:cool: Did you mean this ?: " I was going to say that your problem stems from the previous occupant being an idiot and fiddling with electrics when he didn't have a FC what he was doing. But then I read this.
vice wrote: Could I connect the earth to the neutral to check all is working? "
?
...Thanks for sharing and making this forum a great discussion. Glad you're taking part and hope that hangover eases. Keep taking the meds. Sure you know very well how to trip a working rcd with the power off. As I wrote I messed up and it was of course the switching cable.

river-alt :) good thinking to trace it all back. I'll try and do that back to the CU.
The problem is that the previous occupants appear to have used all lights not needing earths so there aren't any others, just snipped wire with it bent back. Will see what I can do to trace back to entry point though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back