Is my loft space suitable for boarding? (photos included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Sorry for the noob question but I'm wondering if it's easy to tell from my photos if my loft can be boarded or not (3 year old home).

I've been doing some googling and can see new builds are generally built to allow for ~ 25kg/m2 and a person walking around but I'm not sure about how the joists are attached, they look to me like they're to hold up the ceiling below only rather than being load bearing at all.

There's an inverter up there for the solar panels and one 2400 x 600 mm loft board providing access to it from the loft hatch, so it's at least implied a person can be up there.

The space is small because it's above a second floor master bedroom. Insulation is in the eaves, hence raw joists and plasterboard visible.

Thank you.

(EDIT 1: The joists' centres are at 600 mm apart.)

(EDIT 2: Not sure it's relevant but the space is 5.16m x 2.41m.)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can't really tell their size from the picture, but in any case it looks like you can easily add extra.

Looks like you have a smart roof on which someone has cut the ceiling collers short if it's for light storage I don't see a problem also it will be insulated with in the roof panels so no need for extra

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back