Boarding out loft - non standard build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to board out my loft but it's a non standard build and has metal loft joists. I have looked at loft legs but these are designed to screw into wooden joists, the metal joists are in pairs then 750mm apart over approximately 6 meters squared.

I'll take a photo and post soon, in the meantime is there any solution out there what I can use. I could just put 4 x 2 on top of metal joist and fix boards to that but how would I secure to joists.

Photos added, sorry it's a mess and yes needs sorting so I can a good storage space that is easy to get to - it's dusty up there ;o(

IMG_1222.jpeg
IMG_1223.jpeg
IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
lay your timbers over the steels and board over with decent screws. you dont need to fix the timbers to the steel joists .everything holds everything else together.

yes 90deg . and lay the boards 90deg to the timbers.
spacings depends on what boards you use. certainly no less than 16” centres.
you cant let your timbers hang in between the steels. each timbers ends should rest on the steelwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back