Is my neighbour drainging their bath into the gutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I noticed my neighbour's hopper was overflowing, even though it wasn't raining.
Then I noticed the water appeared to be steaming, although admittedly it was chilly.
Then I noticed it comes from a pipe near their bathroom and I started to wonder.
Are they drainging thei bath into the gutter??

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_104749918.jpg
    IMG_20221019_104749918.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Haha yes it does appear to be the case!

Apart from being illegal, it's quite an odd way to do it. I guess they shied away from connecting into the cast iron soil pipe.

Given the age of the property, it’s likely that it’s a combined sewer and fine. However this would need to be confirmed though. As for overflowing I’d say there’s just a blockage somewhere.

Given the age of the property, it’s likely that it’s a combined sewer and fine. However this would need to be confirmed though. As for overflowing I’d say there’s just a blockage somewhere.
+1. I'd be pretty confident those properties are old enough to be on a combined sewer.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
The use two two hoppers seems
it's quite an odd way to do it. I guess they shied away from connecting into the cast iron soil pipe.
Also odd that they fitted a whole extra bit of downpipe and second hopper instead of just running the bath pipe straight to the lower hopper:unsure:

Also odd that they fitted a whole extra bit of downpipe and second hopper instead of just running the bath pipe straight to the lower hopper:unsure:
Probably thinking of a better flow rate ;)

To that effect it may have been a bit of overkill regarding the Building Regs. Max run for a waste would have been 3m, before they needed to upgrade to 50mm pipe, and possible there were/are other wastes (e.g. a shower) going into that hopper that we cant see.

Or just they had spare rainwater goods going begging! :ROFLMAO:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I was just stepping out of the bath today when I noticed some chap taking photos of the back of the house.
I slipped on the soap and ended up inpaled on the loo roll holder.
I'm going to have to give the neighbour a knock and get him to pull it out.

You wouldn't believe how many times Paramedics have heard that excuse....
I slipped on the soap, tripped all the way down the stairs, rolled into the downstairs toilet and bosch, straight onto the loo roll holder. Honest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back