Is proposed flat roof repair OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a new house which has a flat roof to the side of the house covering the garage and utility room. We want to get some work done to it and have had a few quotes, I wondered if anyone could advise if this sounds sensible / reasonable prices etc, as I don't know a lot about flat roofs. Details below. Does proposal a / b sound OK and likely to last the 5 years?

Background
--------------

There's no sign of any leaks but it's looking pretty worn and we want to get it sorted before it does start to leak. It's made of felt with solar reflective stones, exact age unknown but at least 9 years old. We are likely to want to build an extension above the garage in around 5 years, so would prefer to not have a full roof replacement if possible, as it would only get removed for the extension to go on anyway.

The quotes
-------------

Company (a & b) both suggested that as a 5 year 'fix' the best bet is to remove the reflective stones, then apply a new layer of felt over the existing roof, before either returning the stones or adding a reflective paint. Quotes were around the £900 - £1000 mark, including a 5 year guarantee.

Company (c) recommended that it did need a full removal and replacement despite plans to build over it later, and had doubts whether just adding a new felt on would be robust. Quote was circa £2000 to remove existing roof then add 2 new layers.

Clearly my preference is for the cheaper option from companies a&b, but realistically is this going to be robust and last 5 years? If not and we are likely to have problems, then I'd rather get it done properly guarantee or otherwise.

Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
On the basis that its a single garage, they're all being greedy. Its a days work to de chip, new layer of HT mineral with drips/abutment and flashing. £700 tops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back