Is replacing lead supply pipe necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just bought a house built in 1910 and one of the builders have told us we have lead pipes.

We have had conflicting advice from visiting builders and plumbers. One had said it needs to be repalced, cost about £1k, and another has said we can get the water company to test for lead and that its usually not necessary to replace the supply.

We have old concrete paving - and would be ok with digging that out as we need to replace it with nicer paving eventually.

Is it necessary to replace our lead supply pipe or is it a 'nice to have'? We have no central heating so plumbers will have to install new pipes internally anyway and give us new hot/cold water feeeds to bathrooms etc.

We will need a new gas supply so will have to excavate aynway so am wondering if there is efficiencies to doing both at the same time.

Would appreciate any advice? thanks

Sponsored Links
Lead piping is obviously not good for your health, but there is a lot around. Where did the £1k cost come from?

essentially, it may seeem a bit daft to fit nice paving aove a potentially leaking pipe. If you intend to live there permanently after the renovation, I would change it. I don't do this work, but I see you are having to dig up for gas anyway, and £1K buys a lot of plastic pipe.

I am not crtitisizing the quote as Ih aven't seen it, but it may be worth getting another quote, and find out how much it will be to a pre excavation.

Remove all lead in the house, as i'm sure your doing if your doing the house up. I would recommend a new supply, 25 or 32mm pipe that way you will have a good water flow and pressure to all taps/outlets.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back