Is Russia destined to become another North Korea?

I think there are two problems. Russians have had a taste of what an open world looks like, they are no longer satisfied with illegally imported Levis. North Korea is completely isolated and its people under strong government control. The second problem is its not clear if Ukraine could ever accept what Russia may be asking for in the negotiations. They cannot yield in fear of attack. So this war is going to last a while even if Russia takes control of most of Ukrainian assets. Therefore the sanctions will toughen and the pinch will be harder. The way out of this mess is hard to see, but I don't see Russia becoming isolated.

One option could be to impose a Ukrainian repair tax on Russian imports. They get their economy moving, importers look elsewhere and Ukraine gets repaired.

Sponsored Links
I really hope Russia doesn't vanish behind another Iron Curtain.
I've enjoyed learning much more about the country and culture over the last 25 years.
It's a pity RT has already gone from the network but at least i can still browse the Siberian Times.
Siberian Times - all about Siberia, in English
It's a war-free zone and if you want to learn more about that fascinating part of the world this is a very good place to start.

I really hope Russia doesn't vanish behind another Iron Curtain.
I've enjoyed learning much more about the country and culture over the last 25 years.
It's a pity RT has already gone from the network but at least i can still browse the Siberian Times.
Siberian Times - all about Siberia, in English
It's a war-free zone and if you want to learn more about that fascinating part of the world this is a very good place to start.
do you watch bald and bankrupt -probably the most engaging travel blogger on youtube

Sponsored Links
It's a pity RT has already gone from the network
And the BBC has been blocked in russia...

When communication breaks down whatever the content it is a bad move...

Although if you want to watch RT there is of course the internet.

And the BBC has been blocked in russia...

When communication breaks down whatever the content it is a bad move...

Although if you want to watch RT there is of course the internet.

I'm not that fussed about watching RT on the net as i always browsed through, usually without stopping when i saw it was the Keiser Report or 'Gorgeous' George Galloway and his ridiculous hat, but the documentaries often had interesting stories that you'd never get to hear about if a channel like RT didn't show them. One of the best was about the alarming number of giant holes in the ground caused by methane deposits. Siberia is riddled with these gas bubbles and one woman told how she felt the earth begin to shake beneath her feet and had to 'run like hell' to get clear before it blew.:eek:
Central Anatolia in Turkey is also badly affected by these methane deposits and drought, leaving farmers little choice but to move on.

Losing these channels narrows our perspective of the world and the dangers it faces through climate change, a topic that's been swept aside thanks to the war in Ukraine, but this shouldn't blind us to the perils we all face - we've all heard about the terrible forest fires in the West but last year and area larger than France burned for months throughout Siberia and we had little or no news about this disaster in the West.

Even with complete regime change it will take Russia years to recover from this. My prediction is that a new lot will eventually get in and their way out of the mess will be to push to join the EU.

Trust me - just takes one change to turn any country from one side to another.

We all know even dictators like Kim Yong tu has a taste of western items as do all dictoarots. Russians have tasted the good life, millions have and will not want to lose it so a change at the top, real or false promises of we love the west, rightly so the west and for her own sake as well will start removing restrictions that are late coming as most of what has been said against putins cronies has not yet been actioned by England

I think there are two problems. Russians have had a taste of what an open world looks like, they are no longer satisfied with illegally imported Levis. North Korea is completely isolated and its people under strong government control. The second problem is its not clear if Ukraine could ever accept what Russia may be asking for in the negotiations. They cannot yield in fear of attack. So this war is going to last a while even if Russia takes control of most of Ukrainian assets. Therefore the sanctions will toughen and the pinch will be harder. The way out of this mess is hard to see, but I don't see Russia becoming isolated.

One option could be to impose a Ukrainian repair tax on Russian imports. They get their economy moving, importers look elsewhere and Ukraine gets repaired.
I think they potentially can become more isolated depending on how things play out over coming days/weeks/months.

Sponsored Links
Back