Is Stelrad really better than Kudox? The specs seem to say no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I am aware that Stelrad is a more renowned radiator brand than the own brand SF ones, Kudox.

However, when I look at the spec for the same typology and size of radiator, I see that:
Kudox has more BTU
Kudox has a 15y guarantee, Stelrad 10y only
Kudox has a greater max working temperature (120C vs 95C)
Kudox has better power output
Stelrad is slighlty heavier, which I interpret it as having more mass and thus retaining heat for longer.
Of course Kudox is cheaper.

Simply by looking at the specs, Kudox comes out as the clear winner, however what is Stelrad excelling at which perhaps doesn't transpire in some crude black on white numbers?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt worry about the warranty period, they will never honour it anyway, they will just say poor water quality caused a problem, have a look at Tool station they have some really good deals on rads at the moment

@ianmcd agree warranty wouldn't most likely be honoured, however I usually use that as an indicator of how confident is a manufacturer with their product.

Anyway, my dilemma still stands: exactly what aspects make Stelrad being regarded as a superior radiator manufacturer than SF own brand, when the specs say that the SF own brand radiator trumps Stelrad's under every metric?

I have read on this very same board many topics where a lot of people were saying Stelrad are superior than Kudox, hence why I was hoping to get some reasoning behind the statement!

I believe the Stelrad radiators are powder coated rather than wet painted which means they will have thicker and more durable paint on them.

I have a mixture of Kudax and other makes of radiator in my house that were fitted by the previous owner. The rads were fitted approx 12 years ago when the heating system was replaced. Most of the Kudax radiators are rusting under the paint (not from the inside out) and i'm gradually replacing them rather than repainting them because i'm concerned that they'll eventually start to leak.

Sponsored Links
Just to reports the facts, I have contacted Kudox and they are stating their rads are powder coated too! :eek:

The more interesting style radiators they make are powder coated. The standard panel convector radiators that i have that are rusting are definitely not powder coated and i'm pretty sure that the kudox panel radiator i bought recently (i needed an exact size replacement as i had no movement in the pipes) is not powder coated.

My company designs and manufactures paint spraybooths so i do known a little about the subject :)

fitted dozens of kudox, never had a problem and usually come with free valves. all the ones i’ve done are painted.
or at least I thought.

The more interesting style radiators they make are powder coated. The standard panel convector radiators that i have that are rusting are definitely not powder coated and i'm pretty sure that the kudox panel radiator i bought recently (i needed an exact size replacement as i had no movement in the pipes) is not powder coated.

My company designs and manufactures paint spraybooths so i do known a little about the subject :)

Thanks for elaborating Lower, wasn't insinuating anything, just felt I had to report on the matter as I asked with Kudox directly!
Then that goes to show how unaware they are (unless something has changed recently in their production process) as I was asking about the standard panel cover radiators (which are named "Premium" by Kudox as on he SF website) but they are as bog standard as they get!

I had kudox fitted last oct, bought from BQ n SCREWFIX, they heat ok but enamel coating is poor, slight scratch will damage it unlike old rads, and i very much doubt they will last 9 years.

From what i read the stelrad are better as they take less water.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back