Is Taking Out A Gas Meter Difficult?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm hoping to get some advice, I recently purchased a 3 bed terraced house over near Cheltenham & were coming round to update the heating system. We have called our installer & they're sending round a contractor in a couple weeks, HOWEVER what were slightly concerned about is our gas metre is actually inside the house under the staircase & we've asked for it to be removed & put in a different location; I was thinking of doing it myself would this be bad idea? Also is it a big procedure moving your metres outside & will I need planning to do so?

Thank you again for all the information on the other threads, they have proved extremely useful!

Yours

Ben

link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yep, you won’t be able to do this unless you hold all relevant qualifications, and obtained permission from the meter asset manager.

As above, the Meter is the property of the Gas Supplier and it is illegal for anyone other than them or their agents to interfere with it.

To move the meter outside you will need to speak to the Gas Transporter, (probably either Cadent or Southern Gas Networks), and request the meter to be moved. They (or their Contractor) will reroute the service to the property to the required position, provide a new Meter Box etc, then you will nee to get a Gas Safe Engineer to run new pipework from a suitable point in the property to the new meter position, connect up and test.

Be aware this work is not likely to be cheap!

Sponsored Links
Moving ours from one side of the house to the other cost more than £3k, not surprising when I saw the number of people involved, a total of 13 people over several different days, mostly in separate vehicles. The people who dig the holes can't fill them in again, the people who fill them in cant take away the safety barriers, the people who do the pipework can't connect the meter.

Moving ours from one side of the house to the other cost more than £3k, not surprising when I saw the number of people involved, a total of 13 people over several different days, mostly in separate vehicles. The people who dig the holes can't fill them in again, the people who fill them in cant take away the safety barriers, the people who do the pipework can't connect the meter.

Unfortunately now standard practice with all the Utility Companies. I work for one, we're trained to put out signs, cones, traffic lights etc, but in practice a TM crew does it for us!

Cost me nothing to move ours from under the sink. Policy to make it easier for access and to read for oap’s :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back