Is the plaster on the ceiling too heavy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got a ceiling skimmed in a bedroom of a property I have just bought. The ceiling was very uneven (ie undulating and wavey). To make it smooth the plasterer has said he used 3 layers of skim and in some places he had to use 'quite a lot' (perhaps a couple of cms). I am now concerned whether he has put too much on and it may cause the the ceiling to become worse and even eventually fall down. Am I worrying unnecessarily and/or is there anything I could do to secure it (eg nails into the beams holding the plasterboard)? I think the plasterboard is 12.5mm and it is not clear why the ceiling was wavey in the first place.

Sponsored Links
I have just got a ceiling skimmed in a bedroom of a property I have just bought. The ceiling was very uneven (ie undulating and wavey). To make it smooth the plasterer has said he used 3 layers of skim and in some places he had to use 'quite a lot' (perhaps a couple of cms). I am now concerned whether he has put too much on and it may cause the the ceiling to become worse and even eventually fall down. Am I worrying unnecessarily and/or is there anything I could do to secure it (eg nails into the beams holding the plasterboard)? I think the plasterboard is 12.5mm and it is not clear why the ceiling was wavey in the first place.
no its should be ok , i have just done my own ceilings and i used a screed of bonding round the edges to straighten out, your lucky you had a spread that took the time to straighten it, i think the most i put on was about quarter of an inch,as long as his prep work was ok it should be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back