Is the pump supposed to run all the time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
hadn't had to use the ch since last year, and due to the motorised valve breaking, had to change it and also the pump due to water shorting it and subsequently burning it out (possibly needs drying out)

Question
when does the pump run?

does it run with just central heating selected?
same with ch selected, or should it cut in and out when the bolier is firing etc

Thanks[/url]

Sponsored Links
Could you spend a few moments imagining a post containing even less useful information?

Did you succeed?

Hmmm......although Softus put it a bit harshly it is difficult to determine what your after here.......you need to describe your system, set up and controls.

As a general comment boiler interlock should be achieved where ever possible. ie, boiler pump and firing should be switched OFF when demand is not required or when demand is met (required temp achieved).......please post more info if this doesn't answer your query

Sponsored Links
Hmmm......although Softus put it a bit harshly it is difficult to determine what your after here.......you need to describe your system, set up and controls.

As a general comment boiler interlock should be achieved where ever possible. ie, boiler pump and firing should be switched OFF when demand is not required or when demand is met (required temp achieved).......please post more info if this doesn't answer your query
Hi
And thanks for your reply
I have an apollo wall mounted boiler with a tank upstairs.
There is one pump, that I changed and also one 3 way motorised valve, also changed.
To begin
For months my rads would get warmish when on hot water only and work fine when central heating and hot water selected.
I changed the valve as the hot water and also the boiler wasn't powering up when selected. If I moved the override lever and held it then all was ok. If I let it go by 1mm or so it would stop.
Took the head off the honywell valve and with much persisitance managed to mess up the mmicroswitchthat wasn't being met.
So
Changed the valve - the wiring block below it I ahd removed the cover and in doing so managed to get this wet. When I switched it on, the mcb would trip. Looked at valve, and it was motorised on/off. My old one was spring return. So changed it for the correct one (motorised / spring )
Still tripping electric. No meggar, but resistance to earth not very good on pump.
removed wires from newly fitted valve and still tripping out.
removed wired to pump and ok. Reconnected wires to valve and still ok.
Removed pump cover to connections and cap to find wet, and windings blown smell.
B and Q pump bought and fitted - are these all the same? small 1 bedroomed house - 4 rads
No tripping out.
don't think I have incorrectly wired the pump and valve, but may have.
rads now not getting hot unless on central heating - which is good.

ok last bit

when fitting, I isolated everything via hand turned valves(sorry off night shift - cant think of correct terms)
therefore turned off valve above and below pump
from the motorised valve -
left going to top of tank
right going down below floor boards (boiler?)

and here may be a problem - there is a pipe going from the bottom on the tank going below the floorboards (boiler?)
There is also a pipe from the bottom of the tank connecting in between the pump and the motorised valve. this i have turned back on, but wondering if this should be off?

Thats it I guess
I know its against the ethics of forums but I thing there should be a rent a plumber via paypal available. Direct communication and understanding answers.

thanks for your help

Thanks for your help Sherlock.

what info do you need?
OK. Two pieces of information please:

1. Why didn't you follow the instructions here?

2. Do you find that using sarcasm is the best way to solicit free assistance from people?

Thanks for your help Sherlock.

what info do you need?
OK. Two pieces of information please:

2. Do you find that using sarcasm is the best way to solicit free assistance from people?

1. I thought my second post had all the info you requested.
2. Sorry its just that some newsgroups appear full of people who criticize, but don't offer advice - I mean - below is what some sarcastic clown wrote - "Could you spend a few moments imagining a post containing even less useful information? Did you succeed?" incredible isn't it.

Thanks
Nick

Maybe it did, but that doesn't answer the question of why you didn't follow the instructions in the sticky topic.

below is what some sarcastic clown wrote - "Could you spend a few moments imagining a post containing even less useful information? Did you succeed?"
None of my post was at all sarcastic. Blunt perhaps, but the questions were plain and genuine.

But even if it was sarcastic, which it wasn't, do you really find that answering sarcasm with sarcasm gets you the help that you're seeking?

Maybe it did, but that doesn't answer the question of why you didn't follow the instructions in the sticky topic.

below is what some sarcastic clown wrote - "Could you spend a few moments imagining a post containing even less useful information? Did you succeed?"
None of my post was at all sarcastic. Blunt perhaps, but the questions were plain and genuine.

But even if it was sarcastic, which it wasn't, do you really find that answering sarcasm with sarcasm gets you the help that you're seeking?

"Could you spend a few moments imagining a post containing even less useful information? Did you succeed?" - this is you being genuine?
Again - no helpful information.

Please, if you can help, I would appreciate it, not a tirade of childish tittle tattle.
Lets start again - eh?

I think you will find the pump over run stat has gone on your Apollo. Very common fault, but easy to fix.

I think you will find the pump over run stat has gone on your Apollo. Very common fault, but easy to fix.

where abouts is it? any ideas on price?
I have changed the thermocouple before and seem to remember seeing a stat inline?
Can I check it with a meter?
Thanks for your help

The stat you are refering to is the overheat stat.

The pump over run stat is bottom left, inside the boiler casing, only 2 wires to connect it, but can't remember if the combustion chamber box has to be removed to access it, in which case it should have an RGI do it.

The stat you are refering to is the overheat stat.

The pump over run stat is bottom left, inside the boiler casing, only 2 wires to connect it, but can't remember if the combustion chamber box has to be removed to access it, in which case it should have an RGI do it.
Hi dave
How does it work?
Thinking about it, it is open circuit when cold and when the water heats up it must close supplying the pump - in a way?
Is this correct?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back