Is there a preferred wood stain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to stain some treated batten to mount horizontally across some fence panels with a small gap between each batten and stain them in a red cedar colour stain (rather than actual fence paint)

Is there a ‘better’ stain to use? Something that’ll last a few years hopefully as they won’t be too easy to get to or paint once the garden is finished

Sponsored Links
I tend to use Ronseal Fencelife. If the gap between is going to small I would suggest a few coats all round before fitting them. Let each coat dry before applying another one. Think it takes about 1 hour between coats so, depending on how many you have to do, it shouldn't take long to give 3 or more coats to each piece.
One thing I would say, make sure you don't have any sharp edges between the edge and the faces. This is a weak point for any finish, be it stain, varnish or paint. Rub the edges with glass paper so you have a slightly rounded edge. This does prevent weak points for moisture ingress. (Also less painful if children or anyone else trips and falls against the fence).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back