Stripping existing stain off a fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I hope someone can help!

We have just moved in and getting some new fence either side of our stairs. We want to stain this cuprinol's "Autumn Gold".
873399532_160.jpg

The problem is that the existing fencing we have, that goes round the garden, is already stained a greeny colour. I assume if i stain ontop of this colour, it will turn out different to the new fence i will be staining...

How would i get the existing stain off?? I wouldnt want to sand it as that would take me ages!! Can anyone reccomend a paint stripper that i can spray on then power wash off? Or any other suggestions??

Here is the pic:

photo-4.jpg

Sponsored Links
you wont get the stain off old timber it's too big a job... either replace the individual boards or get proper new fencing done... it'll look a lot better...

Sponsored Links
I just pressure washed it there and it came off ok. might give it a light sand after i have done the full fence.

if you are using a water-based fence stain, which leaves a tinted water-repellent waxy film on the surface, it sticks better on a rough surface.

Make sure you will have a couple of dry days after applying, as it will wash off in heavy rain until it has cured. In hot sun it dries much faster. If applying several coats, apply each before the previous has cured, or the wax will prevent the new water-based stain from wetting the surface. You can recoat after a few years when it is weathered and roughened and no longer water repellent.

If you throw a bucket of water over the stain once it has cured, you will see the water bead up and roll off without wetting it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back