Is this a bodge job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a bay window re-roofed. Does this look right? The flashing was done straight on the strong recommendation of the roofer that the mortar is too sandy to do a good step flashing. And one of the tiles is not flush. Finally the lead flashing is not completely tight on top of the tiles. It has a wobble. Is this normal? We feel a bit like we may have been conned which is distressing.

The total cost was £2,500 to replace two rafters, re-tile with battens and felt, and fit flashing, plus replace fascias and guttering. Lead was used for cover flashing (code 4) but aluminium for the soakers
We also feel this is excessive. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is a bit stressful.

Images below and at: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/isteads-album.27589/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
No reason not to have had a step flashing and soakers .
Twaddle.
The straight chase isn't even straight .
The flat under the cill is a potential leak .

Roofer meant he didn't do stepped because it takes longer...

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I might challenge him but I feel it's a lost cause, as I did agree to the straight flashing when it was rammed down my throat... but the straight cut isn't even straight so I wonder if this is one for trading standards. Even if they offer to rectify I have no faith they can do it. I haven't paid yet.

@datarebal what looks like a leak sorry? There are soakers, just cheap aluminium ones.

Don't need soakers with that job, need to cut 4 or 5 inches off that lead to make it look neater , as it stands it need some straps.

Reduce the lead ? And have no soakers ?
We always use soakers and we would have stepped that flashing .

The potential leak is the flat lead area under the window cill

Is it my imagination, or does the flashing under the window sill dip backwards towards the wall. And it looks like the overlap is only about 2".

I don't understand the comment about the mortar being too sandy. Surely the new mortar wouldn't be too sandy as well?

That said, I am not a roofer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back