Chimney flashing with offset ridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building my first roof and have some questions about flashing and ridge tiles. For the abutment (first photo), I plan to use cavity trays with integral lead flashing. For the other side (first photo), I am not sure how to form the flashing. The gap between the ridge and the chimney is 4.5”, the architect has recommended taking the ridge tiles past the chimney and up to the existing roof tiles. Then building a wooden support between the chimney and ridge tiled and using a long lead flashing to go from the chimney over the ridge tile and down over the tiles. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
I think your architects idea would look awful.
I would terminate the ridges at the chimney and form a back gutter/lead saddle and an apron over the last course of tiles.

As above , stop ridge at chimney the flash the rear . Simple job .
Any other way would be a waste of effort .

I think your architects idea would look awful.
I would terminate the ridges at the chimney and form a back gutter/lead saddle and an apron over the last course of tiles.
I had considered a back gutter, but was concerned that a 4.5” wide gutter that is closed at one end would be susceptible to being blocked as the wind would not clear it out?

Sponsored Links
What's happening with this enormous binder?

Despite wanting to reply that my wife is starting a butchery in the room below, I’m afraid the simple answer is that my structural engineer seems to think he’s designing the new roof at Downton Abbey!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back