Leak from roof, possible flashing issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the recent storms, we heard water dripping in our loft and discovered what looks like a slipped tile and an issue with the flashing round the chimney. We have a hole in the felt in the loft and you can see daylight. Also there was water coming down the chimney in the loft which now was water stains.

I've tried getting roofers out to quote, all have told me different work needs to be done and none have seemed that interested in doing the work, one didn't even look inside the loft, only one had brought a ladder. I've read through the forums and some of the points are valid so it's hard to know who to believe.

I've been told

-the cracked ridge tile 2nd one along from the left is the actual cause of the leak. This is all that needs replacing.

- The flashing needs replacing as the apron doesn't come down the tiles far enough, ridge tiles and tiles will need to be removed for this

- The flashing just needs to be beaten flat, tidied up and resealed , 1 tile replacing, cracked ridge tile replacing and repointing

- the flashing is fine but the internal felting will need replacing in that section so ridge tiles will need removing and the slipped tile replacing

-that I have 2 layers of felt, one between the tiles and the roof , a layer of insulation and then another layer of felt which can be seen in the loft. Both of these will need replacing and the tiles round the chimney removed and refited for it to be done and the slipped tile to be fixed.

Any guidance would be appreciated. We're first time buyers and first moved in the house 6 months ago. So it's all unfamiliar territory. We are making our way through bodged jobs since by the previous owners. The plastic bag shoved in the hole is the last owners addition.
Picsart_22-03-09_21-32-19-894.jpg
20220218_164542.jpg
20220218_164447.jpg
20220218_163312.jpg
20220218_163142.jpg
20220218_090831.jpg
20220218_090837.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi there. To me it looks like the lead bottom left front is actually going under the cut tile , if it is then it will leak The tiles are easy enough to replace and rebed , just the lead needs putting over the tile to the dip in the tile

Clearly the felt is split and needs patching from above. That's the cause and the problem to be rectified.
During that work, the lead will be redressed correctly and any broken tiles replaced.

Half a day's work for two roofers would be what you can expect to be charged. Plus materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back