lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wood frame window built into a tiled roof. There's a space below the window sill with lead flashing going into the space so water drips off the sill onto the flashing. This in turn is laid over roof tiles below. However the flashing has a ridge so water gets traped in the flashing just under the sill.

How fragile is the lead flashing? If I start bending it to straighten the ridge and make a slope down which water will flow, do I risk cracking the lead flashing?

Sponsored Links
Lead isn't fragile, that's why it's used for flashing; it can be bent and stretched around corners. I'm thinking that the water trap is because the first tile below the window is not close enough and the dip in the lead is behind the start of the tile. If this is the case you may be able to lift the lead and slip a piece of wood batten behind the tile to support the lead. You must be careful when tapping the lead down not to crack a tile, you won't crack the lead.

Thanks Shaggy. You are spot on about the trap! I now have the confidence to lift the lead and slip some wood underneath. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back