Flashing Under Ridge Where Three Hips Meet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a cedar shingle roof and have three hips which meet at one point (see sketch). I will be installing hip/ridge shingles along all three junctions, but am unsure how to seal the point (ridge) where they all meet.

Ideally I would like to mitre the three ridge tiles together where they meet and have some form of discreet flashing underneath. What would be the most suitable flashing product to use and one which will last as long as the rest of the roof, bearing in mind the flashing will be underneath the ridge tiles and will not be exposed to direct sunlight.

Would some simple Flashband last the test of time in this scenario? Or would something like Ubiflex, lead or some other finishing detail be more suitable?

Or would you just install a sheet of lead (or Ubiflex) over the three ridge tiles and make a feature of this?

Sponsored Links
If you use lead be aware you will have to coat the surfaces that touch the shingles with an isolation coat such as bitumen paint.

Thanks for the heads up, I take it that the cedar would react with the lead otherwise?

Should I stick the lead down with the wet bitumen? Or let the bitumen dry on the lead before laying the lead onto the ridge?

I will obviously be hammering nails through the lead to fix the hip tiles. However, the final three hip tiles which meet at the ridge will have their nails exposed, what's the solution to preventing water from trickling along the nail and through the hole create by it in the lead?

You could make a feature of the top piece and use a stainless steel screw to fix it down, or something similar.

Sponsored Links
You could make a feature of the top piece and use a stainless steel screw to fix it down, or something similar.

I take it you mean by placing the lead ontop of the hip/ridge shingles? If that is what you mean, I would rather keep any flashing hidden away if feasible.

I was meaning some sort of rain guard with maybe a cockerel / weather vain on top with a bolt underneath so you could bolt it down from inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back