Is this a builder's lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Embarking on making our fireplace larger - both wider and taller. Read a lot of post and feeling fairly comfortable about extending the opening from 550 to 1000mm with a prestressed concrete lintel. Have taken further plaster away to see if there is an upper lintel above the brick arch over the opening. Have found a couple of coke blocks on side in amongst the block Are these likely to be related the the lintel that I'm looking for?

Thanks

Doug

Sponsored Links
I think you will find they are normal. I have just taken a wall down and saw quite a few of these so called coke blocks in the wall at random.

Whatever you do take advice from proper engineer as you are likely to be given general advice here. Lintel will either be wood or concrete.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Certain that the coke blocks dont form a lintel themselves, more wondering if there is any precedence of them indicating the presence of an iron strap as I've heard mention of elsewhere?

No indication of age of property!

But it was quite common until about 1950 to use an iron bar or hoop as the starter for a brick lintel or arch. Usually about 10 mm think and about 90 mm wide.

Tony

That arch is original you will require a lintel if you want to make it bigger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back