Is this a fair price for kitchen fireplace enlargement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm waiting on my usual/trusted builder to quote. Took a punt on a quote from someone available, and, would value your input whether its reasonable or sane.

Kitchen has a fireplace, with units built into it.

Job is remove units, raise the opening 1m higher / install lintel. Widen it by 20cm and dot/dab plasterboard ready to tile. Move gas feed 1m to be in the right place for the oven. Install extractor in the chimney breast, core drill space for duct, under where the false ceiling is, and, again out the external wall. Plaster and make good.

Install / plumb in oven.

I provide the oven, extractor, tea and biscuits. I dispose of waste.

Estimate is 2 guys, 2 days (and some tinkering on day 3)

Fitted by corgi chap.

£1k fixed price.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Would this not require building regulation approval, in which case another few hundred at least on the price.

That said not an over the top price for what is being done.

Blup

Would this not require building regulation approval
I do not know. I'll ask

picture would be
20201227_162032.jpg

Sponsored Links
Install / plumb in oven.

I provide the oven, extractor, tea and biscuits. I dispose of waste.

Estimate is 2 guys, 2 days (and some tinkering on day 3)

Fitted by corgi chap.

£1k fixed price.

Thoughts?

I think that's fair. £200-250 day for the main man £150 day for the helper + some materials. I'd go for it - just make sure you agree exactly what you want to end up with so there is no dispute. Fixed price is good as they won't know what they are going to find until they dig in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back