Is this a good quote for replacing an expansion vessel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 9 yr old Ideal Classic 280 combi boiler and I need a new expansion vessel as the current one isn't holding pressure. Apparently I also need to replace 3 isolation valves as they were leaking the last time they were switched off for boiler repair work. I have been quoted £117.86 for parts (vessel and valves) and between £90-£120 for labour as apparently its a 3 - 4 hour job. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a reasonable quote. I have also been advised that it may be better to get a new boiler instead of repairing this one but I think thats a bit drastic. I've already had the blow out valve replaced but that did not sort my pressure problem. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Another problem I have is loud banging/water hammer in the radiator or pipes in my bedroom. I can also hear a gushing of water into this radiator when the heating comes on. Could this be a blocked radiator? All other radiators in my flat are completely silent.

Thanks in advance
Susie

Sponsored Links
Prices are not too bad.

Gushing water indicates air rather than blocked radiator.

Everybody SHOULD (but rarely do) have a pot where they can get the money to pay for heatinh repairs or get things done in a planned way. They understand the benefit of this when they are COLD.

Who says I don't have a boiler repair fund :p

The heating still works so its not cold, I'm just finding myself topping up the water on a daily basis which obviously isn't good.

I have bled the radiator and there doesn't seam to be an air in it so I'm rather puzzled.

Thanks for the info anyway :D

susie blue said:
Who says I don't have a boiler repair fund :p

Nobody said YOU didn't, but there are people that visit this forum who haven't, and most people don't have any contingency fund.

The heating still works so its not cold, I'm just finding myself topping up the water on a daily basis which obviously isn't good.

Quite, it isn't good.

I have bled the radiator and there doesn't seam to be an air in it so I'm rather puzzled.
You could see if opening the radiator valves make it quieter, but this will affect the other radiators.

Sponsored Links
Is the noise coming from the valve that you've opened, or the other end. I'm not a plumber either, why ever would you want to be one of those?

Well the gushing noise seems to be coming from the other side of the radiator and the water hammer/banging is coming from the radiator and/or the pipes below.

You need to pull the cap off that valve and use a small spanner (or something) to open up that valve too. (It may be fully open as many are, but unlikely since it's noisy).

ask them to fit external generic expansion vessel on return pipe ifvthere is appropriate space. Save 80 quid off that bill.

have system cleansed and inhibited afterwards.

fan gets hot bearings dry out on classic. make sure it is ok or start saving for that next, it will strand you cold for definate. This week Ideal have no fans.

Thanks for the info.

The radiator has stopped making noises ...but now another one has started so Im gonna open the other valves on all my rads...dya think thats a bad plan??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back