Is this a sound roofing repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I would appreciate any opinions on this matter.

I had a rotten rafter on a small outhouse roof. The rafter was the closest to the house wall, and water had come in through the cement which was in place rather than lead flashing.

The repair was to replace the rafter, install lead flashing, re-felt and fix a new ceiling.

I was a bit sceptical of the man doing the work but we took him on because he was a known roofer and would do the job for cheaper as he is a neighbour of a relative.

The result is a wonky ceiling. I challenged this and he said that it must have always been this way (it always looked ok to me). The roof has settled and now its not even, the ceiling could be packaged out. I can't see how this is the case. The only uneven bit of the ceiling is where it attaches to the new rafter. You can see in the photograph where the wall was plastered up to the old ceiling. This leads me to think that the rafter is at the wrong angle.

I had a look through a vent hole in a ceiling which lets me see in to the roof space. I am not sure the way that he has joined the rafter to the ridge beam is particularly sturdy. There are no nails through the rafter in to the beam and the rafter is not attached to the wall. I am worried that it is not actually supporting anything. If the roof becomes covered in snow the weight may push it out of place.

Sponsored Links
I am aware of that however so far I have not actually paid anything. Are you able to share your view on whether or not the rafter is fitted correctly?

Sponsored Links
The rafter was cut too short, that is why he fitting an extra piece of timber. He should of cut the other piece flush with the ridge.

He could bolt the rafter into the brick work, then it would not move.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back