Is this a water stop cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm trying to work out if this (see image) is likely to be a water stop cock? The reason for asking is it sits right near to a chimney breast in a front room and I'm wondering if it might be a capped off gas supply instead? I'm not aware of a gas fire being there, but it's an older house, so it's possible.

I can't locate our water stop cock anywhere and I know that this is roughly in line with the water feed into our house. The gas supply comes up the other side of the house, but I guess gas could have been run over here for an old fireplace, if there was one.

It's pretty difficult to open and I suppose there's a part of me that is slightly concerned to turn it before I know what I'm opening!

Peeking down in the hole I can see that this is attached to a pipe that runs in the same line the water would run into the house but I can only see a small part of it.

What would you do?

pipe.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I was hoping it wouldn't be but I'm glad I asked. I'm leaving it well alone.

I guess I've got to get a stop cock put in somehow - I need to change some taps and the street is the only option.

i guess you can turn the water off in the street then?

where does the water pipe come from that feeds your cold water tap in the kitchen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back