Is this an asbestos board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I found what I thought was a normal plasterboard behind my shed, which I moved there from our garage a little while ago. We moved into our property in 2017 and had some work down and assume it must have been left from then. I used it a few weeks ago as a solid base to chop some wood on for our fireplace. When it cracked after chopping several bits of wood on it I saw that it was quite fibrous on the inside and now I'm questioning whether it had been in the garage previous to us moving in and is an asbestos board. I imagine it's difficult to tell from these images, but the only defining aspect is the layers in the board and whether that's a clue as to whether it is asbestos or not? Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.39.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.39.08.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.39.33.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.39.33.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.39.21.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 22.39.21.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
The clue would be the age of it or where it came from. In the absence of those the only way to tell would be to have it sampled and tested.

If it is asbestos it will be the more hazardous AIB, so be careful with it in the meantime.

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted the company that did the work at our house at that time to understand if they recognise the boarding and identify what it might be. Failing that, a test for peace of mind might be the best way forward.

Sponsored Links
Looks as if it may well be asbestos. Many local councils will let you dispose of it. It needs to be double bagged and identified. If you don't know what you are doing or what PPE to wear get professionals in to dispose of it.

I got rid of a garage roof for £400 so it shouldn't cost much for your bit.

It looks as if it could be asbestos, from the photos. Keep it outdoors and undisturbed, preferably wet. Put a sample in a double plastic bag to take for analysis.

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted the company that did the work at our house at that time to understand if they recognise the boarding and identify what it might be. Failing that, a test for peace of mind might be the best way forward.
The firm would be foolish to admit any knowledge of it if it is asbestos.

Looks as if it may well be asbestos. Many local councils will let you dispose of it. It needs to be double bagged and identified. If you don't know what you are doing or what PPE to wear get professionals in to dispose of it.

I got rid of a garage roof for £400 so it shouldn't cost much for your bit.
AIB is different to cement sheet, and councils may not accept it, and private removal costs are greater for AIB.

This Info came back with the last samples I had tested
Information Sheet – IS5
Asbestos Insulation Board (AIB) is considered to have a high fibre release risk potential when damaged or disturbed. It is classed by the HSE as a licensed material and therefore work upon it or its removal should be carried by an HSE licensed removal contractor and
the HSE require 14 days notification prior to the start of the work and an HSE licensed contractor to carry out such works.
Whilst it is in a good condition and in a position where it will remain undisturbed it may be left in situ and should not pose a risk to health. However where removal is necessary it should be removed, where possible, in one piece and always in a controlled environment
AIB should be maintained in a sealed condition. Sealing the board for the first time should be carried out by an HSE's licensed contractor. A flexible paint sealant such as ET150 or or Sika Sikagard 550W (formerly Decadex) is suitable for this. When resealing/repainting board, damping down the surface of the board with a water spray is advisable before starting the work. Do not prepare surfaces with an abrasive material.
As with all work on asbestos materials the use of Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE) and Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) should be considered.
All work carried out on materials containing asbestos by a commercial operator must comply with the Control of Asbestos Regulation 2012
This material when removed must be disposed of as hazardous waste in line with the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005.
Application; Mainly used as a fire retardant but was also used for thermal insulation and in areas of high humidity as a moisture barrier.
Location; Boiler rooms as ceiling panels, ceiling tiles in areas of high heat or humidity, firebreak partitions in roof spaces, partition walls, door linings, fire door infill panels, wall protective panels behind heaters and radiators, wall and ceiling linings to heater cupboards, riser duct linings (the duct cover itself or to the inside of the duct cover), external soffit boards and boards to the underside of rain canopies to name a few. Appearance; In its untreated state it is generally a light grey colour and often has a ‘ripple effect’ surface which is more predominant to one side (usually the unseen side). However when in situ it is often coated with paint or other substances making it difficult to visually identify.
Asbestos Content; Usually contains 40-50% Amosite (Brown Asbestos) but in some instances may also contain Chrysotile (White Asbestos) and Crocidolite (Blue Asbestos). Other Information; AIB is semi-compressed and likely to give rise to high levels of airborne asbestos fibre release when damage or during abrasion. As a result of its prolific use during the 1970’s and early 80’s much of this material remains in such buildings as factories, office blocks, schools and to some degree in domestic housing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back