Is this an expected finish for sash windows and french doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our newly fitted wooden sash windows have large holes around the “runner” on either side, letting in a bad draft. Also the window starts to come away from the runner as look further down.

We also have newly fitted aluminium French doors, where the joins really stick out in places. Is that to be expected, is it acceptable?

If this isn’t good workmanship, what should I be asking of the builders who fitted This? I don’t see how those joins can be addressed now and keep “factory finished”.

FE13D4AE-BCE8-4B67-9E02-E23E9C3D08BD.jpeg
F7754217-B081-46EC-8B6B-D07DE000E10A.jpeg
18415AC2-2C73-439C-BD90-18B08D58CBA3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You should asking who ever made your sash windows if there should be a gap like that and see what they say

I'm struggling to see these joins you mention , I can see a very small gap which silicone will sort

It looks to me as though the sash meeting stiles have been cut back a bit too far leaving more gap than ideal.
It maybe the way the joint is made

There is always a gap there because otherwise the meeting rail would rub on the parting bead.

When I made sliding box sashes, I used weatherseals on parting bead and staff bead as well as the ones in sash -it helps minimise the gap.

One trick is that the meeting rail weatherseal can be left long which helps cover the gap.

In general though, no its not bad workmanship, its almost impossible to eliminate that small gap, its simply the way box sashes work.
Upvc vertical sliders have plastic parts that can seal that gap, but that sort of detail would look wrong on traditional timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back