Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First-time poster and not sure I've got the right place so please be gentle with me!

We have lived in our current house for 8 years. When we moved in we had a homebuyers' survey done that said no asbestos was found but that there could be some that was hidden. Our house was built in the 1930s and had work done in the 1950s (an extension for which the owners did not have planning permission! Now demolished).

We have a 4 year old and for some time now I have worried about our airing cupboard. My husband thinks I am worrying over nothing but I can't get it out of my head now. There is a piece of damaged plasterboard (I think), through which pipes are protruding. On top of this plasterboard is a weird coating that looks like plaster but is white. It is too thick to be paint so I am worried it might be artex or contain asbestos.

Inside the cupboard there are crumbs of the plaster (grey) and the white stuff. I had forgotten about it but found crumbs the other day and started to worry. We keep our towels and bedding in this cupboard.

I am considering getting someone to sample the material in the cupboard, but also worried that as we have been here for 8 years it will be too late anyway! We have not done any work in here, but whilst we were here a builder did. He put the white pipes in. I think the hole was already there but obviously he would have needed to make it bigger. He said it was plasterboard but I'm worried about what's on top of the plasterboard. I wasn't around when he did the work but obviously we use the cupboard daily.

Anyway I would really appreciate it if you could give me your thoughts on what this material might or might not be! And yes I know it's hard to tell from photos but I thought I would ask anyway. I am no good at DIY. Thank you.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170417_080310.jpg
    IMG_20170417_080310.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_20170417_181803.jpg
    IMG_20170417_181803.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 211
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back