Is this CU still alright, usable?

Sponsored Links
That's two sparkys so far, I will speak to one more but then have to conclude that in real life no one will touch it!
Saying that they "don't want to touch it" is fair enough, but claiming that they would not be able to "sign it off" is not true, and therefore raises questions about their general level of honesty.

You certainly could do with a new CU, but not because it would be impossible to "sign off" work whilst the exiting one remains.

Kind Regards, John

Saying that they "don't want to touch it" is fair enough, but claiming that they would not be able to "sign it off" is not true, and therefore raises questions about their general level of honesty.

You certainly could do with a new CU, but not because it would be impossible to "sign off" work whilst the exiting one remains.

Kind Regards, John

"Whoever told you that ccu is ok to use should be reported to trading standards or the governing body they are part of ie NICEIC.
With new regulations this would need to be changed for you to be able to install a new cooker circuit."

;)

*shrug*

"Whoever told you that ccu is ok to use should be reported to trading standards or the governing body they are part of ie NICEIC. ... With new regulations this would need to be changed for you to be able to install a new cooker circuit." ;) *shrug*
Is that what one of the electricians said or wrote, or what?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Wrote, copied word-for-word.
Fair enough. I agree with what others have been said, that I wouldn't want a person who had written that anywhere near my electrical installation. Ironically, it's the sort of misleading statement for which you might want to report them to NICIEC!

You probably should expect most electricians to "strongly recommend" that you should have your CU upgraded, or even say that they'd prefer not to work on the installation so long as that CU remains. That's fair enough, but is different from misleading you into thinking that there is some regulatory requirement to upgrade it.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed.

One wonders why they said they couldn't "sign it off". Saying "can't do the work" could just be out of ignorance, but does limiting it to "signing off" mean that they would be prepared to carry out the work, but not "sign it off"? i.e. carry out work which they thought contravened the Wiring Regulations?

Ironically, it's the sort of misleading statement for which you might want to report them to NICIEC!
whssign.gif

"Whoever told you that ccu is ok to use should be reported to trading standards or the governing body they are part of ie NICEIC.
With new regulations this would need to be changed for you to be able to install a new cooker circuit."

is quite simply untrue. Either the guy told you that because he is ignorant, or because he is a liar. Either way he should be reported - ideally he should be ejected from whichever body he is a member of, but as they care only for their own income, and for protecting those who provide it, and don't give a toss for customers or believe that their members should be honest and competent, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back