new CU and garage wiring questions

Sponsored Links
Because of the shameful way that you've been treated here, Sherlock......

Elementary, innit?

Lucia.

Because of the shameful way that you've been treated here, Sherlock......

Elementary, innit?

Lucia.

I did think there was some unnecessary incivility and a general reticence with the information in the early stages. Still, I kept at it, and must say was able to have a moderately informed discussion with the electrician.

Sponsored Links
Would you pay £3 grand for a telly and not mind if you had a Bush one or a Samsung one?

I wouldn't pay three grand for a 'telly', no. I would view it in the shop before buying, check the quality of the picture and the length of guarantee. A circuit breaker to BSwhatever however must surely do it's job to within the specified tolerances laid down, in what way do you propose a layman should discriminate between the varied makes which I've never heard of? I don't believe which? magazine covers circuit breakers. Taking the recommendation of a qualified electrician who is responsible for the install seems a reasonable course to me.

Sherlock, If I could be sure that you're not on a wind-up mission, I'd be pleased to deal with your queries - but one at a time - and you'd have to soften your abrasive attitude........

Lucia.

Sherlock, If I could be sure that you're not on a wind-up mission, I'd be pleased to deal with your queries - but one at a time - and you'd have to soften your abrasive attitude........

Lucia.

Do you find people often embark upon a windup mission by asking questions about electrical regulations? How odd. Please feel free to address any of my posts containing questions, or not. If you're finding my civil attitude abrasive I don't see why, and therefore am unable to accomodate your sensitivities.

well a £1 MCB in a chint or equivalent board may well break down in a couple of years, no big deal if you can get a replacment, as may an RCD, in chich case you will be looking at a new board to replace an rcd. A Hager one however will almost deffinatly have spares available. I thought it would have been quite simple logic really. Televisions are made to comply with certain regulations and criteria too, but you arn't going to pay full whack 3D TV samsung prices for a 14" portable, likewise, I have a daewoo matiz for sale with a snapped cam belt, care to pay rolls royce money for it??

If you installer is fitting a £65 Dual RCD CU (loaded) and doing 3m of bonding then the price could be deemed expensive, if he is installing a quality branded CU completly loaded with RCBO's and 50m of bonding then the price could be deemed fair.

Is he supplying the cable for the garage? Why not install 10mm 3 core to you are future proofing?

well a £1 MCB in a chint or equivalent board may well break down in a couple of years, no big deal if you can get a replacment, as may an RCD, in chich case you will be looking at a new board to replace an rcd. A Hager one however will almost deffinatly have spares available. I thought it would have been quite simple logic really. Televisions are made to comply with certain regulations and criteria too, but you arn't going to pay full whack 3D TV samsung prices for a 14" portable, likewise, I have a daewoo matiz for sale with a snapped cam belt, care to pay rolls royce money for it??

If you installer is fitting a £65 Dual RCD CU (loaded) and doing 3m of bonding then the price could be deemed expensive, if he is installing a quality branded CU completly loaded with RCBO's and 50m of bonding then the price could be deemed fair.

Is he supplying the cable for the garage? Why not install 10mm 3 core to you are future proofing?
Your television analogy really is a poor one you know, one can see the quality of a television screen and is unlikely to mistake a giant one for a 14" portable. Your comparison is to a selection of makes producing something that will look the same and perform exactly the same job, without 3D capability or any evident rolls royce features.

I can see this is worrying you so I queried the point - he prefers the brand 'contactum', and at my request he'd be using RCBOs instead of RCDs, which I realise is more expensive. Call me old fashioned, but I dislike the idea of a fault on one circuit taking out half the house.

Two more quotes, one chap for 650 and one young man, who candidly told me he's just qualified, for five and a bit. I'll see if contestant number one will drop his quote a bit based on contestant number two. While I wish contestant number three all the best, I'll go with a little more experience.

Is contactum a good brand?

Not considered the best. Cheap though and a 25 year guarantee on their accessories if they manage to exist for that time. They went into administration a couple of years ago but were bought by a Saudi firm, I think. Wouldn't be as confident that their CU stuff would be as easily available as MK, Hager, Wylex for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back