Garage electrics

3 Aug 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I know this topic has been done to death but after searching I can't find an answer to my problem.

I am intending to run a circuit to my garage about 20ft from cu. Running from spare 32a MCB in CU (RCD protected).

Power for fridge, tumble dryer, some light power tools.

Intending CU in garage with 32a MCB using 4mm2 cable in radial circuit for 2 double sockets.

Do I have to use SWA from house CU or can I use T&E in conduit, if so what size of cable should I use?
Sponsored Links
You can search TLC-direct to get your cable size and you will get a lot of satisfaction working it out for yourself ;)

No you don't have to use SWA but if your garage is not connected to your house then SWA is the easiest DIY install. Your cable size will be 6mm+ so you would need 25mm steel conduit. You could use black plastic conduit but IMO that does not offer enough mechanical protection for an external sub-main.

So that you know where you stand with regulations have a read up on building warrants

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links