Cable Size and MCB query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please advise me what would be the correct size cable to run from my house CU then 30m in conduit underground to my garage where it will terminate in a RCD CU (1x6amp MCB and 1x32amp MCB) at the garage. I am thinking 6mm SWA???

This will power a ring main and lighting circuit. The ring will have a washing machine and tumble dryer and some occasional power tools used on it. Also at the house CU what size mcb would be suitable for this?

Current setup by old homeowners does not look right, is a 2.5mm SWA runing from a 13amp spur on kitchen ring to the garage CU underground!!!!! :eek:

I am aware of part P. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need 10mm² SWA for a max demand of 38A over a 30m distance. Use a 40A MCB, on the non-RCD side (if split load board).

thanks davy for the quick reply. Would a 40amp mcb on the house CU be ok for this?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back