Is this Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed the vinyl (lino) from my kitchen floor. It is made of red tiles. As far as I know, they are laid on soil. When I lifted the lino, the underside of the lino and the floor is moist. I removed part of the lino a few weeks ago and that part dried pretty quickly. Is the moisture caused by damp? I am planning on putting some ply down and then lino on top. Would the moisture return if I cover the floor?
What would be best solution of stop the moisture from returning?

Sponsored Links
Yea, soil is the best , better that a concrete or timber floor! You can dig out a tunnel if the FEDS!!! are banging at your door.
But 4 laying tiles on, come on i think even u know thats *******s!
Not getting at u by the way , just find it funny :confused: :LOL: :evil:

Being serious dig the whole lot up , damp course it, then concrete it then tile it.
You could use the soil for your Geraniums!! :LOL:

no expert here but if you have earth underneath [your pictures show very little
you need to dig out around 6" concrete 4 inches damp proof membrane then 2"
but i dont realy know??

Sponsored Links
Ehh!!!
So u say 6'' dig out, 4''concrete then damp proof, then another 2'' concrete screed?
Why not 6'' dig out , damp proof then ,5 or6'' of concrete, sack the rest! U know wot im saying? SDo u?

Ehh!!!
So u say 6'' dig out, 4''concrete then damp proof, then another 2'' concrete screed?
Why not 6'' dig out , damp proof then ,5 or6'' of concrete, sack the rest! U know wot im saying? SDo u?
quite possibly lol
i am a bench joiner so trying to give an idea what's involved without knowing "exactly" what's involved :D :D ;)

Depending on the condition of those tiles, consider recycling 'em.

It may be possible to incorporate them into your new floor. If the topside of them is damaged, look at the underside to see if they can be reversed.
Otherwise, off to a reclamation yard with them.

And protect that hall floor during work. :!: Onced cleaned, those floors look the business. Treat them with linseed oil or bees wax. Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. Same applies to your quarry tiles if you do re-use them.

well, I`m a plumber but I know what a mortice and tenon is :rolleyes: ;)

Hi!

The best solution and cheapest would be to clean the tiles and let the floor breathe.

The problem is related to putting vinyl over the top of the tiles, the tiles may not be very porous and the vinyl is not breatheable and the interface between the tiles and the vinyl sweats due to thermal bridging and vapour/condensation becoming trapped between the tiles and the vinyl.

Putting ply down would likely hide the problem for a few years, but it would eventually come back to haunt you!

Next option: If feasible, create a warm floor construction - lay say 50mm of PIR insulation over existing tiles, then vapour barrier and then 18mm moisture resistant t&g chipboard and finish off with floor covering of your choice.
The insulation would stop the thermal bridging occuring which is leading to the condensation problem and the vapour barrier would keep most of the moisture laden air on the warm side of the construction where it will do no harm.

The hardest option would be to dig up the existing floor as already discussed by others and incorporate the warm floor detail (but not quite to the detail that some suggest!)

Or a final option - do some research and see if there are any natural floor finishes that you could use which would allow the floor to breathe, with this in mind you could lay 'new tiles' over the top of the existing.

Regards

Why did you take the lino up in the first place - was there a problem?

The dampness you see there is coming up from the tile joints (which is natural) and being trapped by the impermeable lino over time

If damp is a problem, then you can coat the tiles with a liquid DPM or even lay some polythene before your ply and lino

Thanks guys for the responses.

Ideally I would concrete the floor, but I have limited time and also we are not replacing the kitchen units, so I am after a medium term solution.

The lino had become tatty, so just replacing it, to make it look better.
^woody^ I was thinking of putting some Damp proof membrane under the ply. You've said polythene, would using proper Damp proof membrane be better, or could I just use any thick polythene?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back