Is this Dry Rot and if so what should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this Dry Rot and if so what should I do?

Can also see snow like substance on the garage floor.

Planning on replacing the roof very soon but as you can probably see its pretty wet after last winter. The previous owner used the crappy board to mend the roof. The OSB you can see is my attempt to overwinter the problem.

IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2352.JPG

Sponsored Links
what is the wood like, poke it with a screwdriver and see if it has any crumble or give in it?
could just be surface mould but the poke test should tell you if it's something more sinister

regarding what to do, if it is dry rot then replace the timbers at the same time as the roof

Thanks, John, have been worried, to put it mildly.

No, give when poke with a screwdriver.

No crumbling at all from what I can see.

Can I simply treat with spray bleach?

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy,

Sorry posted at same time as you.

I plan to let it dry out, remove any crumbling (weak) timber and treat with a wet rot treatment.

Would that do the job?

Justin

Cheers Andy and thanks for the product recommendation.

Justin

Chances of dry rot in a garage area low.

Have you sorted out the leak? If when it's dry the timber is hard, then it won't need any treatment.

Hi Woody,

Thanks for the insight, I was pricing up to do the lot so will just buy a tin to do what I need too when I see what's going on under the old.

It's not so much a leak as the roof was repaired with fiberboard at the back of the roof (I think a kitchen worktop). :censored:

Am hoping to get this sorted within a couple of weeks.

Would you advise me to get the roof off and let it dry out under a tarp ASAP?

Some good advice above
If you want to dry it out just get some heat into it even from sunshine as long as you make sure the roof isn't leaking any more. Taking off the roof won't help much it's the warm dry air that does it. Things tend to dry out over time and the rot will stop.

Airflow will help dry things out. Leave doors and windows open when practical to do so.

Regarding "tarpaulins" the cheap blue ones break down pretty quickly when the sun light hits them. I once made a "lean to" on the side of my garage for spraying MDF, within 2 days I had blue flecks falling down on to the newly sprayed MDF.

Thanks all...

The trouble is the fibrous board holds the water in like a sponge.

Will move forward with this ASAP.

Plan to remove the roof as soon as the boards and EPDM arrive and are safely covered over.

Am going for a more expensive tarpaulin from a tent supplier.

Justin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back