Is this normal for a garage floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Wondered if I could get some opinions on the way that damp seems to spread on my garage floor.

I went out to the garage this morning for a run on my treadmill and when I first went in the floor was completely dry.

As it was raining outside my trainers were a bit wet so I brought a few wet footsteps into the garage but only three or four.

After about 40 minutes in the garage the damp on the floor had spread out quite a bit. I’ve included a photo below and the yellow circle is where my footprints were. As you can see the damp spread quite a bit. It wasn’t raining in to the garage.

I’ve not seen this happen before in previous houses (this is a new build six months old). I presume it’s normal but I guess I was a bit surprised at how much the damp spread.

Cheers.
8C8D367A-7E84-47C5-A48B-8797A8DE8C25.jpeg

Sponsored Links
At this time of year I have the same issue in my cellar
Its know as condensation and it occurs when warm air hits a cold surface

Is it condensation, though? I'd expect warm air to rise, hit the cold ceiling or tops of the walls and condense there and not on the floor.

I’m not sure if it’s condensation, although I guess it could be. I just thought it strange that the damp bits effectively spread to cover more floor space.

Sponsored Links
A vote against condensation from me here too.
You should be able to determine which direction the moisture is coming from by laying some impermeable plastic over it [or even a sheet of glass] and leaving it for a bit:
Water on top side = moisture from the air condensing on the cold floor
Water on bottom side = moisture coming up from the concrete

Had it again this morning.

I’m beginning to think it could be condensation.

It hasn’t rained for the last few days. The photo below is from when I first opened the garage door and about 45 minutes earlier it had spread more - in particular near the front of the garage.

I’ve never had this with any garages in previous houses so I wonder if it’s the material the builder has used for the floor?

Can you seal garage floors with anything to prevent this?

23E51393-B239-4CC9-868D-2C7762155FD5.jpeg

All sorts of things you can seal concrete with, from diluted D3 PVA glue (won't last long), through floor paint to epoxy resin or epoxy floor paint.

A vote against condensation from me here too.
You should be able to determine which direction the moisture is coming from by laying some impermeable plastic over it [or even a sheet of glass] and leaving it for a bit:
Water on top side = moisture from the air condensing on the cold floor
Water on bottom side = moisture coming up from the concrete
I’ll give this a try. Appreciate the suggestion. Cheers.

Would a floor sealant/coating likely stop the condensation problem?
If the condensation is moisture condensing on the garage floor, then the only way a coating could stop that would be if it made the floor warmer relative to the air, ie thick enough to insulate it. So that's probably a "no".

It’s condensation by the looks of it.

I went in the garage tonight, left the door open, and at first the floor was dry. Ten minutes later there was a damp patch at the front like in the photo.

What I can’t get my head around is the fact we’ve never had this problem in any of the garages in our previous houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back