Is this plumbing set up right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to connect a new washing machine up under the sink and my husband thinks that the plumbing has been set up wrongly in the first place.

We have always had problems with the washing maching pipes getting blocked with gunk and when its running the water bubbles up the sink.

Can one of you experts take a look at the photo and tell me if its all set up correctly or incorrectly. The old washing machine was connected to that black pipe at the top on the left.

Many thanks,

Caroline

plumbing.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Edit - I should have worked this out before. That black plastic pipe is your overflow and should connect on your sink outlet (the black bit your washing machine you say was connected to).

Then connect waste from wash machine to the white plastic adapter your overflow is currently connected to.

Many thanks, he thought they were the wrong way round.

No we dont have a dishwasher Chris, it must be connected to the overflow? (I'm not in the house at the moment).

Sponsored Links
The ribbed overflow hose should be connected into the top spigot, and the washing machine waste should be connected into the white trap spigot.

Mike

A jubilee clip around the ribbed pipe would be a good idea :idea:

Connect the black overflow pipe on the right to the connection on the left, loosen the sink waste screw and white nut to swivel round the black part. You may need to dip the end of the black hose into hot water to soften it to fit the spigot, use silicon sealant to seal connection.

Then connect the washing machine to the white spigot on the right with a Jubilee clip to secure. Make sure the W.M hose loops up to worktop level to prevent the sink waste flowing into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back