Is this roof valley still fit for purpose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We have just moved into our new place for a couple of months and spot some leaks. I managed to get on to the roof to check things out and it seems the reason is the valley around one chimney is completely blocked with debris and easily overflown. I have cleared it, however wonder if I should replace the valley.

It is quite an old tin/steel valley that sits under the tile (Please see photo. I moved the tiles up to clear the valley). The chimney runs diagonally that's why they designed it that way I think. Do you think it was properly done and still fit for purpose? My worry is it is quite shallow and can be overflown regardless. I understand the newer design would be a lead valley with mortar sealing the edges between the valley and the tiles. However I feel this design also has some issues, one the lead and tiles both contract and expand seasonally, so the mortar will break down quite quickly, and two the tiles are not easily replaced.

If there's a way I can keep using it for now, or improve it in some simple way that would be great, as we plan to do a major refurbish once we have lived a while and figured out all that we want to do. However of course it's not fit for purpose then I will get it replaced asap.

Hope to hear your advice. Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7124.JPG
    IMG_7124.JPG
    585 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Anything would be an improvement over that set up! I suggest knocking the chimney down and tiling over it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back