Valley tile detailing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm scratching my head over how to lay my first valley tile. I've test-fitted the first five courses of valley tiles and adjacent tiles to see how they sit, and it seems to be that the first valley tile wants to sit on top of the two eaves tiles at the bottom of the valley.

These two eaves tiles can't be pushed close enough together to for a weatherproof bond unless I cut them in to triangles, which is fine if that's the done thing.

The only other way I can see to get a weatherproof bond at this course is to cut a square out of the bottom of a valley tile and then fit what's left (an L-shaped valley tile) to the bottom course instead of the eaves tiles at that point.

What's best practice?

By the way - I'm pleased with how the valley tiles are sitting otherwise, given my other posts about the roofs not quite being equal pitches.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Try scratching your ar*e instead of your head.
To save me old eyes a lot of writing. Go to Keymer.co.uk. Click technical. Click 5a, valley tiles and read your fill. Remember they lay in and are held by gravity. Any problems, come back
Regards oldun

Cheers oldun - there's some good stuff on that site. I'm still not sure what's going on with the hidden eaves tiles. I've ended up making two special eaves tiles as shown in red on the diagram below:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back